WiredTree hosting - low speed

Hello,

I have been using WiredTree hosting for 1 year and I was content with it, they have very good custom service and helped me many times. The problem is that recently I met some problems with one of my sites. When I tested connection in http://host-tracker.com it showed time of replay about 15 sec

and speed about 2-3 kb/sec. On other hand the test http://gtmetrix.com gives good results (84/78).

When I tested other site with just 50 products it showed much better results 0.5-1 sec time of replay and speed 40 kb/sec.

I use VPS1000 plan, they offer me to add some more RAM and it maybe can solve the problem.

What do you think, colleagues, about service of WireTree?

Thank you.

Michael.

[quote name='tmv' timestamp='1347479314' post='144908']

Hello,

I have been using WiredTree hosting for 1 year and I was content with it, they have very good custom service and helped me many times. The problem is that recently I met some problems with one of my sites. When I tested connection in http://host-tracker.com it showed time of replay about 15 sec

and speed about 2-3 kb/sec. On other hand the test http://gtmetrix.com gives good results (84/78).

When I tested other site with just 50 products it showed much better results 0.5-1 sec time of replay and speed 40 kb/sec.

I use VPS1000 plan, they offer me to add some more RAM and it maybe can solve the problem.

I am thrilled with wired tree great service and quality hosting

What do you think, colleagues, about service of WireTree?

Thank you.

Michael.

[/quote]

I have been with Wired Tree from the beginning and they are a very good value for the money.

Although as they have grown the quality of their support has dropped.

You don't provide enough details to say what teh problem is but if you are not using CDN and have lots of images taht may be the problem.

I used to have 2 to 12 second page load times now I have 1 second worldwide with lots of photos on our website.

This is after adding a CDN network Amazins in our case - it was like magic.

Thank you for the replay. I need to say that I started investigating work of the site hosted at WireTree when about week ago my site hung suddenly, the problem was in database, there was an error. After restarted mysql server the problem did not disappeared and I installing cs-cart 3.0.2 solved the problem. I paid more attention at work of the site, tested in different tools which I met in the Internet and it turned out that site worked quite slow. The static pages loaded fast but cs-cart pages too low.

I have 2 hostings - good (as I thought) WiredTree and plain (very old hosting which I have been using since 1999). In both I have relatively small sites with 200-300 products and small database based on cs-cart. The larger site with ~3000 products I located at WiredTree because of more intensive work. Uncompresses database is about 120 MB, I do not know if this is much or not. Under these conditions the site works not good - the response time can be 5-16 sec, average speed 3-10 kB/sec!

I installed a copy of that larger site at the “plain” hosting which costs me $20 per month, the results are in some times better. So I am asking why should I pay to WiredTree $49 per month and to have poor work? Guys from WiredTree offer me other plan which costs $99 per month to guarantee good work. That is why I asked a question about work of WiredTree.

We're using CS-Cart Version 3.0.2 and hosted with Wired Tree with a Hybrid VPS we had to get a plan that was a bit more than $99 because of the major resources CS-Cart requires to run. Its working pretty smooth. we do see some slow down about 3-5 seconds for each checkout step during checkout because of the Live Shipping rates, according to everything i read there is no way to get it going any faster with the live shipping rates.

[quote name='solesurvivor' timestamp='1347581192' post='145015']

We're using CS-Cart Version 3.0.2 and hosted with Wired Tree with a Hybrid VPS we had to get a plan that was a bit more than $99 because of the major resources CS-Cart requires to run.

[/quote]

Thank you, this is what I would like to know - using Cs-cart at WiredTree is relatively expensive. I think that I need to look for other hosting.

May I ask you if you know cost of similar (from technical point of view) services in other places? Here I read about Future Hosting.

Thank you.

Michael

tmv, keep in mind how things work:

On a vps you get a certain amount of resources guaranteed, which means your site will always be running with that as minimum resources. That is what you'[re paying for. Also, you are usually more flexible in your setup.

A good shared hosting package can simply be faster though, because the servers are usually huge and if you have a good host they won't overcrowd them. However, at certain times, when a lot of sites are being visited, things can become slower.

I have some clients running just fine on $10,- per month hosting packages, so if you're shared hosting is working fine, just go for that.

[quote name='Flow' timestamp='1347611855' post='145040']

tmv, keep in mind how things work:

I have some clients running just fine on $10,- per month hosting packages, so if you're shared hosting is working fine, just go for that.

[/quote]

Thank you, this is what I have. You are right that shared hosting may meet problems sometimes, that is why I transfered 2 sites into WiredTree hosting and 2 left at shared hosting. As I wrote the shared hosting shows better results for now but I scare to move back my main site - WiredTree has very good customer service. I will try to upgrade my hosting plan and will see the results.

TMV,

It sounds like you have not done enough research.

You could very possibly have a simple setting problem. As I mentioned earlier WiredTree service has declined but their value for the money is still very good or I would have changed a long time ago.

Have you had an expert take a look at your setup?

[quote name='Traveler' timestamp='1347620848' post='145050']

TMV,

Have you had an expert take a look at your setup?

[/quote]

I did not involved any expert from my side, I just used support of WiredTree, I sent them notifications about errors which system sent me automatically. They said that mysql had lack of memory. OK, I will try. If upgrade solves the problem - good. If now - I will look for other hosting.

TMV,

I just want to make a subtle point here in case it is of benefit to you and others.

One of, if not the most important benefit, of the VPS plans is the added level of “control” allowed vs. a standard shared hosting account. The problem is that with all of this added control, also comes a great deal of additional responsibility on your part to be certain you have everything setup correctly for site stability, performance, and most importantly security! Many people seem to think they can just move to a VPS Plan and forget it (just like they were accustomed to in the past with a shared hosting account), this is where the problems begin. On shared hosting accounts it is in the hosting companies best interest to “watch your back” and make sure everything is setup properly as well as making certain that no individual accounts have the control to get themselves in trouble while at the same time bring down the other sites hosted on the same server. On a VPS plan it is quite varied as to just how much, if any, assistance or “management” is being provided behind the scenes. So, unless someone is willing to invest the time in learning how to properly & safely maintain their VPS server (and also has a good deal of technical aptitude), or is willing to hire a server/security expert to perform the needed maintenance, you may be setting yourself up for a lot of grief as well as a disaster down the road. So, to make a long story shorter, IMHO, VPS plans are not for everyone and are certainly not some “set it & forget it” end all to fix everyones hosting solutions! ;-)

BTW, I am not someone that considers myself to be a server guru, just someone which was blessed with an immeasurable amount of practical, common sense business logic! :D

Sorry for not answering so long.

Thank you, Struck, for all your advices, very valuable. As to the hosting I upgraded it to that one which costs $100 per month, it did not solve my problem with slow loading of the site but in general it improved all services.

It seems the problem is not in hosting but in something else. I tested speed at http://host-tracker.com of my previous version 2.2.4 (it is still alive in subdirectory) and the new 3.0.3. The new version works slower in some times! I compared other my site on other hosting - the same result - new version works slower on the pages with products. Definitely I should contact dev. team but here I would like to ask everybody who has working sites on new and old versions of the cart to make comparison of speed work at http://host-tracker.com.

TMV,

[quote]

It seems the problem is not in hosting but in something else.

[/quote]

I would suggest that you hire the help of someone here in the forums “familiar with properly setting up a CS-Cart store” to fine tune your initial setup, then you can pickup on the necessary tricks as time goes on if you have the desire to do so. Unless you have the traffic to justify it, then you are most likely throwing money down the drain by changing to a higher priced VPS plan vs. just paying someone for assistance in properly setting up your site/server. ;)

having a vps is definitely better i would say, should outperform shared hosting most of the time

i'm also using wiredtree hosting, but i'm looking to move maybe to OVH, very much cheaper