Will a VPS Server Really Help?

Thinking about switching hosting account.

Right now we are with host monster and are using there pro account.

My Stats:

Products: over 32,000

DB Rows: 564,749

File Count: 118,487

Average customer traffic: 400 users.

Will a VPS server help out my speed or what should I do?

400 users - per day, week, month?

It would depend on the type and setup of the VPS, could be worse.

Looks to me like the is something wrong with your server anyway, the first byte seems incredibily slow to load and no browser side caching. I would sort that out first.

Wait 65.94% Connect 31.28% Receive 2.69% DNS 0.09% Send 0.01%

http://tools.pingdom…harpermoto.com

BTW your site home loads in 45s and is 800kbs

my site loads in 8.4s and is 1.5mb in size - and I've not yet optimised it, also the test was from New York and I'm in the UK.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1359577805' post='154056']

400 users - per day, week, month?

[/quote]

Per day.

Also I know my site is way slow right now. My host says there is a server issue and they are working on it (Believe that when I see it.

It just started today. Worked fine this morning, then bam it starts running reaaaally slow.

I keep hearing this browser side caching but really dont know what it is or how to do it.

Any feed back on that?

Also the VPS server Im looking at purchasing through host gator is:

CPU: 1.13 GHz

RAM: 768 MB

DISK SPACE: 30 GB

BANDWIDTH: 500 GB

And we have average of 400 visitors a day.

[quote name='harpersmoto' timestamp='1359588030' post='154070']

Per day.

Also I know my site is way slow right now. My host says there is a server issue and they are working on it (Believe that when I see it.

It just started today. Worked fine this morning, then bam it starts running reaaaally slow.

I keep hearing this browser side caching but really dont know what it is or how to do it.

Any feed back on that?

Also the VPS server Im looking at purchasing through host gator is:

CPU: 1.13 GHz

RAM: 768 MB

DISK SPACE: 30 GB

BANDWIDTH: 500 GB

And we have average of 400 visitors a day.

[/quote]

Hostgator is not good for VPS server, its only for shared hosting and also the config which you get is expensive as i know. I recommend you to join futurehosting or stylexnetworks … i am running on both and speed and performance is awesome…

[quote name='miracles' timestamp='1359610056' post='154081']

Hostgator is not good for VPS server, its only for shared hosting and also the config which you get is expensive as i know.

[/quote]

Well I always thought the same but took advantage of their new year offer to get 3 years business hosting for $130 !

I wasn't expecting much and the intention was I would just move some of my low traffic blogs over to it. But I've been very suprised by both speed from here in the uk and the support team when questioned.

Although I use http://www.vidahost.com cloud service for my CSC shop, if interested here's a 10% discount voucher “AUCTION”

[quote name='harpersmoto' timestamp='1359576781' post='154054']

My Stats:

[/quote]

Sounds like your in the same boat we were… We have a bit more traffic but about the same for products… Step up to a dedicated server… We had HostGator VPS… Just couldn't cut it… You wont regret it…

[quote name='CarStickersDecals' timestamp='1359630158' post='154103']

Sounds like your in the same boat we were… We have a bit more traffic but about the same for products… Step up to a dedicated server… We had HostGator VPS… Just couldn't cut it… You wont regret it…

[/quote]

Whats the difference in manages and un-managed VPS Servers?

Is a VPS server hard to run and use?

I'm just use to using cPanel

I just need a hosting company that is going to provide good quality speeds and service.

[quote name='harpersmoto' timestamp='1359644049' post='154121']

Whats the difference in manages and un-managed VPS Servers?

Is a VPS server hard to run and use?

I'm just use to using cPanel

I just need a hosting company that is going to provide good quality speeds and service.

[/quote]

If your asking the difference then you need managed imo.

Lots of people take on servers and end up leaving it full of holes to exploit, you don't want that with a shop.

Why don't you try Cloud, vidahost.com will give you 3 months trial for just £1 and they host in UK & US. £10 a month or equ in Dollars.

Im thinking about going with the future hosting.

Im looking at a few others but will have more information by the end of the day.

Here is some interesting results:

WebPageTest Test - WebPageTest Details

Website Speed Test | Pingdom Tools

Time to connect/first byte is brutal.

Browser-side caching will help somewhat AFTER the customers first page load, check the update I posted in the thread in my signature. I'd be surprised if you get much traffic waiting that long to take advantage of browser caching, I certainly wouldn't.

You need a better host, with more dedicated CPU/memory.

[quote name='StellarBytes' timestamp='1359652093' post='154132']

Time to connect/first byte is brutal.

Browser-side caching will help somewhat AFTER the customers first page load, check the update I posted in the thread in my signature. I'd be surprised if you get much traffic waiting that long to take advantage of browser caching, I certainly wouldn't.

You need a better host, with more dedicated CPU/memory.

[/quote]

Oh if I was on a site that slow, id be going somewhere else.

I just don't understand why it just all of a sudden went to lagging so bad.

Ill have to get this browser caching set up but I need it to be better than somewhat.

2 days ago the site was loading up just fine. about 4s to load a page.

Ive been looking at FutureHosting at there VPS server, Level 2.

Has 1000GB of Bandwidth, 1024MB ram, 20GB Disk Space. And equal share CPU.

Think this should improove the website?

[quote name='harpersmoto' timestamp='1359654918' post='154135']

Ive been looking at FutureHosting at there VPS server, Level 2.

Has 1000GB of Bandwidth, 1024MB ram, 20GB Disk Space. And equal share CPU.

Think this should improove the website?

[/quote]

There is no exact equation here. How many VPS accounts are running on each server? What hardware specification has the VPS got? Exactly how much 'guaranteed' power does each VPS account get? Note their website just states 'Shared CPU' - this could mean anything. In saying that, I'm pretty sure Flow uses Futurehosting and recommends them for their performance and support. If VPS Level 2 still isn't enough, you still have the option of moving to a Level 3+.

And I'd be more concerned about the underlying I/O system versus CPU or Memory. If I/O is poor, no amount of CPU or Memory is going to compensate.

Futurehosting is deff not a good company for me.

They cant even get my site transfered over and I have been having login issues from day one with them

Switching to someone else now.

Not sure if you've considered ServINT - Considering your numbers I would recommend the Ultimate Plan ($99/m) due to the high load of suPHP on CS-Cart.

[quote name='harpersmoto' timestamp='1359576781' post='154054']

My Stats:

[/quote]

It may, or may not help your speed depending on what is happening with the accounts that are with you on the server. Depending on your traffic, dedicated may be your best bet.