Will 4.2 Be A Simple Upgrade From 4.1.x?

I'm currently on 3.0.6 Professional and contemplating upgrading to 4.1.4. However, I'm wondering what the upgrade from 4.1.x to 4.2 will be like? Will it be one of these major updates where you have to do a clean install in a subdirectory first, use an import tool, and then move everything into the root of the site when it all seems to be working?

If so, I'm ahead to just wait for 4.2.

However, if it's just a matter of pushing a button to upgrade from 4.1.x to 4.2, I may just go ahead and do the upgrade to 4.1.4 now.

Does anyone know?

I would expect that both methods are supported. I.e. if you're running 4.1.4, then an “upgrade” to 4.2.1 would be the standard “upgrade” processes.

However, if you're running V3 then you would do a store_import to “migrate” your data from your old V3 store to a new V4 store.

Store import should only be used once, and that's for the original migration to V4 from either V3.0.6 or V2.2.5.

My understanding anyway.

OK thanks Tony. I was thinking that would probably be the case.

I'm running 3.0.6.

[quote name='kingsleypress' timestamp='1398992817' post='182760']

I'm currently on 3.0.6 Professional and contemplating upgrading to 4.1.4. However, I'm wondering what the upgrade from 4.1.x to 4.2 will be like? Will it be one of these major updates where you have to do a clean install in a subdirectory first, use an import tool, and then move everything into the root of the site when it all seems to be working?

If so, I'm ahead to just wait for 4.2.

However, if it's just a matter of pushing a button to upgrade from 4.1.x to 4.2, I may just go ahead and do the upgrade to 4.1.4 now.

Does anyone know?

[/quote]

Actually only CS-Cart architects can answer on your questions. The final decision will depend on the amount of core changes which will be made in 4.2.x. If the changes are significant (like 2.2.5->3.0.6), the only way to upgrade up to the latest version - is the database transfer. Of course, they know that all customers prefer to click on several buttons only. But unfortunately such way is not always possible,

Guys )) There are official holidays up here in Russia, so we gonna wait for the answer until Monday, I guess.

// The question is considarable by me, also.

Every time I hear “store import” I cringe. I have not had a smooth import yet. :-(

[quote name=‘jimmyod’ timestamp=‘1399061414’ post=‘182803’]

Every time I hear “store import” I cringe. I have not had a smooth import yet. :-(

[/quote]

I was dreading that too because my experience going from 2.x to 3.x was terrible. However, I did a quick install of 4.1.4 today and then did an import of my 3.0.6 store and it worked like a charm.

Better not require store_import for anything V4.x to V4.y!

@forfun… If you're expecting an answer from cs-cart in the community forum, don't hold your breath, even if there are no holidays. The only time they respond is when they have time on their hands unless it was a thread started by them (I.e. twigmo, new version announcement, etc.). Otherwise the helpdesk stays busy with paid support and only responds here when they have spare time. Note that you'll notice they only post in batches just before a product release which means they've completed their testing and the helpdesk is slow.

@tbirnseth

Well, you are absolutely right. I think they need a Revisor up here ))