Will 2.2.4 Run On Php 5.5?

I want to upgrade my VPS to PHP 5.5 but I have one CS-Cart site on there that's still at 2.2.4 and doesn't look like it's going to get upgraded any time soon. Will upgrading the VPS to 5.5 break this site?

You will get a lot of errors generated due to depricated features and probably some 'type' related issues. Especially if you use the PDF features.

It MAY work, but you should turn off all error_reporting for production or your cart is going to spend most of its time writing to the error_log.

There are probably a few tweaks to be made to get it to run. I did this for my site at one point (PHP 5.4, not 5.5) but it's been a while....

OK thanks Tony. I may go ahead and have my host upgrade the PHP on the VPS and see what happens. Thanks for the tip about turning off the error log. If things go too badly wrong, I could move that site to a shared hosting account until someone gets around to updating it to the latest CS-Cart. It doesn't get a huge amount of traffic.

Most hosting environment can handle multiple PHP versions. You could upgrade the default PHP and then have a setting in your .htaccess that tells Apache to load a different version. Check with your hosting for the specifics for your environment.

I already asked them about that and they said it's not possible. It has to be the whole VPS or nothing.

Really? Even the host that I abandoned supported multiple PHP versions. My current hosting supports 5.4 (default) and 5.3. And they offered to provide me a 5.2 if I needed it. It think it's a pretty standard WHM/Apache configuration setup. You might want to ask your hosting to raise the question to the next tier of support.

I copied and pasted your message above into an email and sent it to them. This is their response:

the options available are to switch to our shared server with cloud linux licence, but then you lose root access, or you can purchase a cloud vps.
Please let us know how to proceed.

Different hosts for different folks.

Having ability to maintain legacy environments is a critical piece of the puzzle for me.

I can't really comment on your hosting company operating practices. Obviously you've hit a shortcoming with them. Now you'll have to make business decisions on the best way to accomplish your business goals.

php selector is part of cloudlinux, which I think is $10/month

https://blog.cpanel.com/easyapache-4-announcement/

Great, I am not very familiar with cpanel. What is the current version of easy apache in the latest cpanel?

Different hosts for different folks.

Having ability to maintain legacy environments is a critical piece of the puzzle for me.

I can't really comment on your hosting company operating practices. Obviously you've hit a shortcoming with them. Now you'll have to make business decisions on the best way to accomplish your business goals.

I'm looking at changing to a cloud VPS running CloudLinux. It adds some cost to my yearly budget but not too drastic.

The ability has been in Apache for a long time. It has nothing to do with Cpanel or Cloud. It has to do with having multiple versions built/installed on your server in different directories. Then Apache has directives for how to associate a name with the location of the binary executable. I.e. 'php54', 'php53', etc. Just because it's now in cPanel, doesn't mean the functionality hasn't existed for a long time. cPanel exposes very little of an underlying system. The capability has existed long before 'easyapache' has come on the scene.

If your hosting doesn't support it, then they are trying to upsell you to a different environment that will reduce their cost and increase yours.

OK I finally had my host upgrade the PHP to 5.6. This 2.2.4 site is still running fine it seems.

@tbirnseth, how do I turn off the error reporting?

Please take a look:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.error-reporting.php

OK thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

OK thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

FYI, the error_reporting function is already used in the top of the config.local.php file on 2.2.x versions. You can edit arguments there

I would strongly suggest you review what's being reported before you choose to ignore any error, warning or notice messages from PHP. A correctly behaving application should generate no error, warning or notice php messages.

My hosting company has now suspended that account. They say that its "processes" were staying open for hours (instead of closing) and overloading the server, and violating their terms of service.

They say this has nothing to do with PHP being upgraded to 5.6.

What do they mean by "processes staying open for hours" and why is that happening and how do I fix it?

Is this a shared-hosting account?

If not, you can do from SSH:

# ps -ef | grep php

And see if you have an inordinate amount of php processes running. However, I'm not aware of anything in cs-cart that would not 'exit' within a CPU second or two.

What mode is PHP running in on your server? DSO, suPHP or ruid (ask your host if you don't know)?

Are you running Apache or Ngix or some other web service?

I would review the error_log and try to resolve all errors/notices/fatal errors in your V2 source.

I ran V2.2.4 and PHP 5.6 for years without issue.

tony