Why does the quick search use the meta keywords?

I’m currently using phpmyadmin to go through and add links within my products. After adding the links I have been using the quick search to find my products so that I can check them.

I couldn’t figure out why, but doing my searches kept bringing up results that I didn’t want.

For example the search

refugium

would bring up all sorts of things like aquariums and stuff. Now the aquariums are related to the refugiums, but they weren’t what I was searching for.

It took me a while, but I finally figured out that the quick search was searching my meta keywords. Now what I can’t understand is why there are search words if the search searches the meta keywords? I mean what are the search words for then?

Anyways, I just changed:

core/fn.catalog.php

I just removed:

if ($params['pkeywords'] == 'Y') {
$tmp .= db_quote(" OR (descr1.meta_keywords LIKE ?l OR descr1.meta_description LIKE ?l)", "%$piece%", "%$piece%");
}

Now my quick search doesn’t include the meta keywords.

So one other thing I was wondering is what are the “bad” effects of me doing this? I don’t see it effecting my SEO since it just relates to my quick search. It also helps narrow down my search much better.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

I don’t see any problem with this at all. You really have to optimize your website for your visitors and something like this would help them find what their looking for much quicker.

One problem I find with cs-cart search is that it doesn’t ‘rank’ the search results on priority. For example if someone searches a term that is found in the ‘description’ feild it could have been listed higher on the results than a product with the term in its title. When you have 1000’s of products it really becomes a problem. The product they were looking for could be a few pages back in the results. If you have a lot of searches on your website it could be worth while to mod the cart to prioritize results.

Any idea why the quick search might return “…” (without quotes) for some products? Just the 3 dots.

Thank you.

[quote name=‘CsssCart’]Any idea why the quick search might return “…” (without quotes) for some products? Just the 3 dots.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Hello CsssCart,

It seems that the problem occurred because of a minor bug in your current CS-Cart installation. In order to fix it, please replace this part of the code:

}
// Use LIKE operator, if no results found
if (empty($values) || Registry::get('addons.quick_search.search_in_titles') == 'Y') {
if (Registry::get('addons.quick_search.match_type') == 'any') {
$pieces = explode(' ', $pattern);

with this one:

}
// Use LIKE operator, if no results found or count of found products less than the max search limit
if (empty($values) || count($values) < Registry::get('addons.quick_search.product_search') || Registry::get('addons.quick_search.search_in_titles') == 'Y') {
if (Registry::get('addons.quick_search.match_type') == 'any') {
$pieces = explode(' ', $pattern);

in the “search.post.php” file located in the “addons/quick_search/controllers/customer” directory of your CS-Cart installation.

Then, replace this part of the code:

if (fn_strlen($value['text']) > $length) {
$value['text'] = substr($value['text'], 0, $length);
$value['text'] = preg_replace('/\w+$/', '', $value['text']) . '...';
}
}

with this one:

if (fn_strlen($value['text']) > $length) {
$value['text'] = substr($value['text'], 0, $length);
$value['text'] = preg_replace('/\pL+$/', '', $value['text']) . '...';
}
}

in the “func.php” file located in the “addons/quick_search” directory of your CS-Cart installation.

Even after applying patch I still get dots…

Dear Darius,

[quote name=‘Darius’]Even after applying patch I still get dots…[/QUOTE]

The problem requires an investigation on your server. Please contact us via Customer Help Desk: http://hepdesk.cs-cart.com

[quote name=‘CS-Cart Support team’]Dear Darius,

The problem requires an investigation on your server. Please contact us via Customer Help Desk: http://hepdesk.cs-cart.com[/QUOTE]

Done, thanks