Why Are There *So* Many Files and Directories?!

I’m trying to get CS-Cart working for my client. I manage his site in Dreamweaver, and do my work on a home computer and a laptop, using Dreamweaver’s synchronization tool to keep files up to date between the server and the two computers.

I’m running into the problem that there are so many darn files in the CS-Cart installation (I’ve only got a few skins installed, yet I think there are over 5,000 files). Just the act of asking Dreamweaver to check the synchronization can take upwards of an hour, and then actually doing updates (pushing and pulling as necessary) can take another hour or more.

The vast majority of files are, of course, untouched. But Dreamweaver is thorough, and I have to have it check the entire CS-Cart installation because when I’m tweaking things via the admin panel, I never know for sure which files in which of the hundreds of directories are actually getting altered.

This is becoming quite a pain in the butt, and I’m wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem (and hopefully come up with a solution). It would be nice if there was some kind of “minimal” install of CS-Cart. At a minimum, there are probably hundreds (thousands?) of files related to additional language support that I don’t need (English and Spanish would be adequate).

Anyone have any ideas on how to speed things up?

Thanks!

Download and try the free PSPAD. Pretty cool editor. I use this to maintain my cs-cart sites rather than Dreamweaver. I have the tpl extension for Dreamweaver and have been using its code view, but PSPAD seems much more powerful. Especially since the WYSIWYG feature of Dreamweaver does you no good with cs-cart. I still use Dreamweaver to maintain my non-eccomerce sites

In PSPAD all one has to do is add .tpl to the HTML file extension list and you are good to go.

I use Dreamweaver to manage my site. I don’t use the syncronization feature or the cache. Basically when I change a file I just upload it. It seems to work pretty well.

Brandon

OK, I tried PSPAD. Seems like a nice code editor and I was able to set up FTP to the web hosting account. What I don’t see, though, is a way to synchronize files. Dreamweaver compares the timestamps and content of my local and remote files, then flags the ones with differences. If I need to examine the details, I’ve got “Beyond Compare” connected to DW and it shows me line-by-line differences.

I do not see a way to get PSPAD to do any type of synchronization / comparison.

I also should have been more clear that I use DW as a raw code editor, not a WYSIWYG editor. The code editing is not a problem, though. It’s the fact that I’ve got over 5,000 files in my cs-cart installation and many of them seem superfluous. There are loads of language-related files for languages I don’t need to support, plus lots of extra icon and other images files I doubt I need.

Unfortunately, I don’t see any way to pull out of cs-cart all the files and subdirectories that I don’t really need. And that really slows down DW when it has to run a comparison on thousands of files.

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]I use Dreamweaver to manage my site. I don’t use the syncronization feature or the cache. Basically when I change a file I just upload it. It seems to work pretty well.

Brandon[/QUOTE]

That’s fine if you’re doing all your changes on a single computer. But as I mentioned, I used two different machines (one at home and one when I’m on the road). So I must rely on some type of synchronization that says, “compare my local files with those on the server and let me update whatever I need to.”

Even if I just “blindly” uploaded all files I’ve changed on one computer, that would mean I’d have to then download the entire cs-cart file structure on the other (unless I keep really good track of which files I’ve changed). With 5,000+ files, that would take several hours.

[quote name=‘webwiz’]

I’m running into the problem that there are so many darn files in the CS-Cart installation (I’ve only got a few skins installed, yet I think there are over 5,000 files). Just the act of asking Dreamweaver to check the synchronization can take upwards of an hour, and then actually doing updates (pushing and pulling as necessary) can take another hour or more.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the club. As some who has written more than one website both hand coding and using Dreamweaver, I feel your pain.

As an end user, also, I have to resort to contracting maintenance to someone else, as CS-Cart, though robust and initially affordable, is not user friendly when it comes to maintenance. Kind of like trying to change your own spark plugs in today’s cars… You are forced to go to the dealer or another mechanic to get it done. Perhaps that is one reason it is written/structured the way it is…

Too far in to get out… just now

I use FlashFXP + Notepad++

If I need GUI, it’s RapidPHP / Dreamweaver (Rapid PHP has better Syntax highlighting for my eyes) where as dreamweaver for Web Standard Checks.

[quote name=‘webwiz’]That’s fine if you’re doing all your changes on a single computer. But as I mentioned, I used two different machines (one at home and one when I’m on the road). So I must rely on some type of synchronization that says, “compare my local files with those on the server and let me update whatever I need to.”

Even if I just “blindly” uploaded all files I’ve changed on one computer, that would mean I’d have to then download the entire cs-cart file structure on the other (unless I keep really good track of which files I’ve changed). With 5,000+ files, that would take several hours.[/QUOTE]

Have a look at MS mesh for synching files via the web assumes broadband access. So same on laptop - desktop - notebook etc. Oh and access via browser also.

Free

Works GREAT.