White Space

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Someone just mentioned to me that there appears to be quite a bit of white space in the cart…in fact on my home page there is 79 lines. I never noticed, or rather didn’t realize it was any issue, but now I see it. Is there a way to diminish that ? I know Google says “don’t worry about it TOO much”…but the fact that they even mention it has me a bit paranoid[/COLOR]

How are you counting “lines” of whitespace on an html page?

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]How are you counting “lines” of whitespace on an html page?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Someone in the Google forum told me about it…guess he had a way of checking which lines were which. He told me there was white space lines 517 to 596 on my home page I am guessing. When I looked at page source there was quite a bit of space with no coding, so I guess he was right…

[/COLOR]

If you have gzip compression turned on then it all gets compressed away so there’s no penalty for the transmission. The browser simply ignores whitespace and the impact of it would be negligable at best.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]If you have gzip compression turned on then it all gets compressed away so there’s no penalty for the transmission. The browser simply ignores whitespace and the impact of it would be negligable at best.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Great…good to know…thanks[/COLOR] :slight_smile: