What to do with the sample Catalog

Hi Guys,

I’ve recently set up cs cart, and left some of the sample catalog in place to play around with it. Thing is I sell laptops (Just became an Authorized Toshiba Reseller.) and at any given time my inventory is max of 20 different models (from other manufacturer’s too.

I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea to leave some of the sample catalog in place when the site is live just to make the site look bigger. For the past year I’ve been selling on ebay, and I’m a powerseller so establishing trust with the customer isn’t a problem on there. But I’m afraid it looks bad when I have just 20 something models of laptops on my site. Please don’t flame me, I’m just looking for your honest opinions and experience.

Thanks,

Huy

I don’t think it’s a good idea as you won’t be able to sell ‘test’ products when you are live.

Just having 20 products is not an issue provided you fill out the rest of the site with good content.

Yeah - no point trying to make yourself look bigger with products you don’t have, and never will have. If they smell something fishy, you could do more damage than good. Just my $.02!

Thanks for the feedback guys, you definitely make a good point. I removed most of the sample catalog. When I became a Toshiba Preferred Partner, I had to get an account at Ingram Micro as well. Turns out they carry some of the stuff that was in the sample catalog… basically the IT stuff and some electronics. So I kept that and just made the prices lower to be more realistic. :slight_smile:

Just make sure that those sample catalog items are available with your distributors or whom ever you buy from, them adjust the price accordily. I left a computer case on my website, guess what, that night I received more than seven emails inquring about that case. Luckily enough, I was able to drop ship the computer case at the listed price. For those Item you want to keep, just make the price zero and that will trigger contact for pricing. So if they do ask for it, them you have to do the math and order it for drop ship. Just my point.

If you want to keep them to boost your site I would have to say no.

If you want to keep them to “play” with then move to anew category that is invisible. You can still then see them - look at the top of the admin page.

You can make your site look fuller by perhaps have the same item in multiple categories - use featured products etc.