What is the point of the 'cleanup templates cache'?

Well the title of the post says it all. What is the point of the cleanup templates cache link? When I click it all I get is:

[quote]

Cache cleanup… FAILED

[/quote]

I don’t see what it is for exactly. Can anyone explain?

Regards,

Martin

via FTP,

Add this CHMOD permission to

/var/compiled/admin
/var/compiled/mail
/var/compiled/customer
/var/compiled/partner

Which will then let you delete the “cache” as you’ve just tried to do.

I am still curious as to what is it for and when should it be cleared up.

I would imagine it’s like cleaning up temporary internet files in Windows.

Hello Jesse,

You forgot to mention what chmod setting one should use:D .

775 or 777?

Martin

777 for folders

[quote name=‘Martin’]Hello Jesse,

You forgot to mention what chmod setting one should use:D .

775 or 777?

Martin[/quote]

[quote name=‘Tool Outfitters’]777 for folders[/quote]

Depends on your hosting environment. S-Combs created a tutorial about which ones are supposed to be used on specific servers. Personally for /var/ I use 777

cs-cart uses the smarty templating engine which creates a cache of templates “once” so the templates don’t have to be continually complied, clearing the template cache clears the compiled templates so the next time the site is visited the templates are re-compiled, if you edit the templates, you should always clear the template cache…

[url]Search Results for "[" | Smarty

[quote name=‘snorocket’]cs-cart uses the smarty templating engine which creates a cache of templates “once” so the templates don’t have to be continually complied, clearing the template cache clears the compiled templates so the next time the site is visited the templates are re-compiled, if you edit the templates, you should always clear the template cache…

[URL]Search Results for "[" | Smarty

[/quote]

Also, I’ve noticed that doing this on a localhost can cause errors when a page is loaded. Just reload the page and the errors should disappear.

[quote name=‘snorocket’]cs-cart uses the smarty templating engine which creates a cache of templates “once” so the templates don’t have to be continually complied, clearing the template cache clears the compiled templates so the next time the site is visited the templates are re-compiled, if you edit the templates, you should always clear the template cache…

[url]Search Results for "[" | Smarty

Thanks - it is one of those things that I have wondered about for months and months. Never been a big one but … !