What is the point of Administrator - Privileges ?

Administrator - Privileges and user groups ? do these work ?

I want to give a user rights to add EVENTS only and ok I can’t give privileges to users so I made an events administrator group.

I created a new administrator but can’t apply it to the new group - the only options are CUSTOMER or ADMINISTRATOR

First, you can only change permissions by being the root admin. The root admin is the first admin that you set up. You can see which one that is when you are viewing your admins. It’s the one with a “1” next to it.

Once you login with that admin you can then change permissions.

I like the permissions thing personally. I have a person right now adding products to my site. I’d rather her not see my customers and orders so I have her permissions set to only be able to change products.

Once you set up a new administrator permission thing and the new administrator be sure to “Activate” and “Deactivate” the right permissions.

Hope that helps,

Brandon

I think I was logged as root admin but I’ll try again later.

So you think it’s possible to give someone access to add events but not be able to see any other admin areas ?

I would like to do this so the public can add things like shows and trade fairs to the calender.

[quote name=‘kickoff3pm’]I would like to do this so the public can add things like shows and trade fairs to the calender.[/quote]

I think it’s not a good idea to make the ‘Admin area’ accessible for the public. That would open ‘your doors’ for hackers.

[quote name=‘indy0077’]I think it’s not a good idea to make the ‘Admin area’ accessible for the public. That would open ‘your doors’ for hackers.[/QUOTE]

Not if they only had access to events, the is no difference in real terms to public and administrators they are all people with a login. I wouldn’t be publishing the login details just giving it to people who I select.

Either way I still want to get this working and at the moment if I make a group and restrict privladges to the group, assign a new admin account to the group, and then use that new account to log in …I get

All the privladges of any other admin as far as I can see it’s not restricted at all. Even if I go into that new account and disable the admin group leaving just the need group with only events prevladges. I still get all access to edit anything and see anything.

So I’m assuming these groups don’t work. If they don’t work just how secure is the admin area ?

I agree with Indy on this one. Your customers are just that, customers. I wouldn’t give them access to anything beyond their own customer area.

I’m not sure about the hacker thing, but just from a business standpoint, I don’t think this would be a good idea.

If you have shows and events, why not integrate a blog or something?

Another option would be to talk to someone like tbirnseth or Joe and have them code something that would allow your customers to add events and stuff, but never have to actually go into your admin. I wouldn’t think this would be all that hard to integrate.

Brandon

The groups totally work, I use them. You just have to set them up correctly.

Check out the knowledge base’s instructions [url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

If you follow those instructions, that might work. From the looks of things, you only want:

Manage Events

and

View Events

Selected, but you might have to play around with it to get it to work correctly.

Brandon

Why not move the events module into the customer area and require them to be a logged in user? Then you could offer them the capabilities without any possibility of their “user type” being Admin.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]Why not move the events module into the customer area and require them to be a logged in user? Then you could offer them the capabilities without any possibility of their “user type” being Admin.[/QUOTE]

That would be the prefered way to go but could I do it myself or what sort of cost would in be ?

I’m already thinking I might need someone like yourself to give the site a quick “service” once I’ve got it stocked and configured the best I can. I don’t want to go down the road of code changes as I’m not in to “looks” I have a one of the basic skins that works for my needs and from past experiance over the last ten years running the site in creloaded this time - I’m KISS all they way.

I don’t know what it would take. If you’d like to send me email at tonybXX.ez-msXX.XX.com (remove X’s) we can discuss. It is probably a few hours work at a minimum. I am not overly familiar wih the module so there would be a learning curve.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]I don’t know what it would take. If you’d like to send me email at tonybXX.ez-msXX.XX.com (remove X’s) we can discuss. It is probably a few hours work at a minimum. I am not overly familiar wih the module so there would be a learning curve.[/QUOTE]

Email sent Tony.

[quote name='brandonvd' timestamp='1299343571' post='105809'] First, you can only change permissions by being the root admin. The root admin is the first admin that you set up. You can see which one that is when you are viewing your admins. It's the one with a “1” next to it. [/quote]

This is a VERY important aspect!!! I tried and tried to set the privileges to different admins of the store but I didn't succeed untill I read this post. Thank you very much!