What is the best way to remove div top-tools-container

I need to remove the div top-tools-container and all the content in it from the basic template. However I'm not sure if I should remove the code manually from top.tpl or create a new hook surrounding it and just replace it or maybe there is an even better way? Whats the best way to do this?

(FYI: I need to remove this bar because I will be moving all of the items within the bar to other areas of my design. For example the search box iw ill be moving to the top right of the page design, and the signio i will be moving above the search box.)

I appreciate anyone experienced feedback on this topic. Thanks again!

[quote name='solesurvivor' timestamp='1312774739' post='119084']

I need to remove the div top-tools-container and all the content in it from the basic template. However I'm not sure if I should remove the code manually from top.tpl or create a new hook surrounding it and just replace it or maybe there is an even better way? Whats the best way to do this?

(FYI: I need to remove this bar because I will be moving all of the items within the bar to other areas of my design. For example the search box iw ill be moving to the top right of the page design, and the signio i will be moving above the search box.)

I appreciate anyone experienced feedback on this topic. Thanks again!

[/quote]

I would use

.top-tools-container {

display:none

}

[quote name='hbtrading' timestamp='1312776069' post='119086']

I would use

.top-tools-container {

display:none

}

[/quote]

thanks. i wasn't sure if that was the best idea because then i have some remaining html code in the source like the   and   for one. But yeah I really want to avoid editing the skins tpl files because from what i read its a bad idea if you want to be able to do upgrades without rewriting the whole skin.