What is a good selling shop?

Like to start this tread to get your views on what you consider is a good selling web shop. What is required of functions – design – marketing etc?

And what is a good shopping cart?

Here are some starting points from my point of view:

1.You need some good products to sell – that people want and with the right prices.

2.Better setting up two stores then putting in two or more manufactures or series that not fit together. Example books and jewellery. But have a link or add on each site to the other for promoting your other business.

3.The shop must be easy and logic to work around in. Easy to add to the cart and check out. The cart it selves must be easy and quick to set up.

4.It must be speeding fast.

5.I nice design according to your product. But the design can be very easy. Not to much taking the focus away from the products. No flash – if only lightly in the header.

6.Not all smart functions that only confusing the buyers. I like to be a little old fashion her and use what the customers are common to. Not drag and drop etc.

7.Big focus on the product – good quality pictures and not to small.

8.Good contact information – telephone is required to get customers trust.

9.Promoting by newsletters to other media like newspapers – weekly magazines other websites that have interest in writing about your site and products. Personally so fare I choose not to use affiliate – never know what ugly site promoting you site.

10.Always focus on satisfied customers all the line from entering the store to delivery and service.

This was some very quick and short points from my point of view – looking forward to yours comments.

Terje

The problem with your question terje, is that there is no simple or single answer. Every site, every shop is different. What sells for one may not sell for another, and that’s why all of these features and options get so much buzz. I tend to prefer simple shops as well, but that doesn’t suit everybody, and a cart product has to serve a broad range of needs, so they tend to grow in features.

A shop selling clothes will have different needs than one selling software, and both will be different than a shop selling computers. There’s nothing wrong either with a shop that sells both books and jewelry. Amazon is certainly a ‘good selling shop’, and you can find both on their site. One site is easier to promote than two, however I do agree that for most sites unless ‘super store’ is your business model you are better off keeping to similar related products.

For me, simple is almost always best. My priorities are:

• easy to SEO (title, meta descript, image / link title & alt attributes, product descripts, all under my control)
  • very easy to navigate
  • very easy and clear checkout sequence
  • super-fast page loads
  • ability to have several items grouped as options of a single generic item w/ product numbers for each option…
  • ability to sell several items as a single item, while maintaining all product numbers in the order (i.e. product + accessory)
  • featured products and related products
  • ability to display ‘current items on sale’ in one place (as a sidebox and on a separate page)
  • ability to sell both physical and downloadable products

And on the admin side, though it has nothing to do with your question, my priorities are:
- easy to add and manage products
- easy to add and manage orders
- easy to integrate with QuickBooks or other accounting software
- well integrated CMS for non-product pages
- easy to upgrade

I have many other 'wants', but these are the 'musts' in my opinion. Beyond this, the ability to automate as many admin processes as possible, and ... as I've stated too many times already, the ability to generate a completely static html site using the software as a site management tool.

CS-Cart is the best I've seen, but I agree that it is slow loading, which isn't acceptable. I've heard many people elsewhere tout smarty templates as 'far superior' to other template systems, and I was glad to find CS-Cart used them. I don't know if they are the reason for slow page loads or not, though some people here obviously feel they are. I don't have any suggestions there, just that page loads should be much faster (which is why I still prefer static sites over dynamic).

[quote name=‘arlen’]

CS-Cart is the best I’ve seen, but I agree that it is slow loading, which isn’t acceptable. I’ve heard many people elsewhere tout smarty templates as ‘far superior’ to other template systems, and I was glad to find CS-Cart used them. I don’t know if they are the reason for slow page loads or not, though some people here obviously feel they are. I don’t have any suggestions there, just that page loads should be much faster (which is why I still prefer static sites over dynamic).[/QUOTE]

I do not know much about the smarty templates - but finely someone agree with me about the speed. This is a must for me and CS-cart need to speed up. It’s why I’m looking at other more quicker alternativ solutions.

a good selling shop is one that advertises…

Well no offense to anyone here, but if you want a fast store and great functionality, I suggest you get better hosting.

Running a store on a 5/month plan with any traffic at all isn’t going to cut it. It’s sort of like saying Ebay uses 1 server to host its stuff…it just isnt going to work.

Everyone keeps saying its CS, its CS, have you thought maybe your host is limiting your resources? like % of cpu, ram, etc. anything that uses mysql heavily is going to require resources, especially RAM.

this is NOT to say CS is totally optimized, but its NOT the only thing that may need to be considered.

i have to agree with ET, my store is fairly fast. there are times where it takes lonther than others but over all i dont have to wait for it to come up

This tread is in General chat “to discuss anything not related to CS-cart” and is going a little of the track. My intension was not to get a speed discussion about cs-cart here but more about sharing helpful points to get a good selling store. (I take some of the blame for it in my reply to arlen) However to finish this speed discussion there is no dough that there is quicker solutions – build in other ways then CS-cart without dragging in examples here. Pointing out getting better hosting is maybe relevant fore some – but is it not in my case. Overall we all agree with that CS-cart is one of the best cart you can work with and that we all also want our shops to bee as fast as possible.

If anyone have some good tricks, tips or experience to share about a good selling store (different from speed issue and related to the Cs-cart it selves) please go on. :stuck_out_tongue: