What good are Global Options if...

… they don’t update globally?

I have 2 global options on the cart that I’m setting up. After adding a product, I realized that I need to modify the options. I went to:

Catalog → Global Options

Made the necessary changes and saved them.

Surprisingly, I had to manually apply these same changes to the global options that had been added to products.

Now, that is truly counter-intuitive and it does seem like something that ought not to be.

Should this be reported as a bug or am I missing some important aspect of how things work?

Make sure you have checked “Apply as link” at the time the global option was applied to the products.

That is an ambiguous thing. What does it mean to apply as a link? My options are radio button so I ignored that checkbos.

Per the knowledge base:

If you select the Apply as link check box, the select product option will be added as a link to the product. This means that you cannot edit the option for the current product, but the added product option will reflect all the changes made to it on the Global options page.

If you do not select the check box, the option will be copied to the list of product options for the product and you will be able to edit its variants at any time.

Ok … I get it.

That description is counter-intuitive but your explanation makes it clearer.

Thanks!

Why would you have to check this off? It should be checked off by default or invisible. I'm creating a global option, but if I don't check off “apply as link” it basically creates a regular product option?

[quote name='pablo631' timestamp='1326739768' post='129457']

Why would you have to check this off? It should be checked off by default or invisible. I'm creating a global option, but if I don't check off “apply as link” it basically creates a regular product option?

[/quote]

Is this in a template so that we can have it checked by default?

[quote name=‘NowsTheTime’ timestamp=‘1336248580’ post=‘135921’]

Is this in a template so that we can have it checked by default?

[/quote]

Answered my own question :grin:

Added the word checked to one line in /skins/YOUR SKIN/admin/views/products/components/products_update_options.tpl

around line 22 change this line

<input type="checkbox" name="global_option[link]" id="global_option_link" value="Y" class="checkbox" />
```<br />
<br />
to this<br />
```php
<input type="checkbox" name="global_option[link]" id="global_option_link" value="Y" checked class="checkbox" />

THE MOD ABOVE DOES NOT WORK. When you try to edit a product with global options, it creates a 500 internal server error. When you edit a product with a regular option, it creates a 404 page not found error. It doesn't matter if it's an existing product or a newly created product.

I'll have to work on it some more to see if I can figure out what's causing the errors.

I was happy to find this old post. After testing the 'Apply as Link' functionality I wanted to add some clarification for future users

As the Knowledge base article mentioned in this thread is not 100% clear on this

Note: we use CS-Cart version 4.1.3

When you select Apply as link then there is 2-way dynamic-link established. This means that changes done on both sides will be shown on both sides! So a change made at the Global-Option-side will immediately be reflected on the Product-side. And vice-versa.

If you have 10 products which have used this apply-as-link to that global option, it means that changes made at Product 1 will be automatically applied to Products 2-10.

In other words, please be careful when you decide to check that box.

Regards,

Olof