What are the differences

What are the major differences between version 1.3.5 and the new version 2? I believe there is no Listmania - is it still possible to list related products and accessories as we now do using Listmania? I still have around 2,000 products to add to my cart that have related products and spare parts and I am finding it slow going adding them all and was wondering whether there is a better set-up in version 2 and whether I should wait until I have upgraded to add these products.

I can’t seem to find anywhere that lists the options that version 2 will have to offer as opposed to the current version of CS-Cart - maybe someone can point me in the right direction??

Most of the changes I have seen are for the developer. It doesn’t look like many new features were added for the Customer Experience or for the Store Owner who is maintaining the cart. The Store Owner has a new interface, but I can not find many new useful features for him/her.

To me, 2.0 looks like a cosmetic change and a new interface for the developer to modify the cart’s functionality and layout. Other than that no new useful features.

As a developer I will probably like the new version, but for my clients I think it has missed its mark.

By the way, the Listmania functionality is what CS-Cart 2.0 calls Blocks. Basically the same functionality with a new interface and new name.

David

I believe the way the cs-cart is going now it’s the way of losing the market. Almost no any new functionality in cs-cart other than even free engines have. On any request to the company to modify the functionality to get close to the modern functionality I got replays to pay $200-400 for any of them with 3 months support only and no inclusion into the following releases. Seems the company experiences some problems in a vision of the future market. Normally since that all companies start losing points. It’d not be good to wait the third release and the last…

Dima

What I have read on this forum is that the new version, CS2, is a totally different structure than the current version.

It appears that the new version will off better integration of Mods, using “hooks”. This should aid in the development of more mods and hopefully, CS-CART adding their own mods based on the many suggestions posted in this forum.

One problem that I have had is the develpment of mods for one specific service pack and then find out it won’t (or may not) work with the next service pack. Hopefully this should be less of a problem.

I know I paid for mods and so did others. Some of these mods may have been paid for several times… several people independently asking for the same or very similar mod.

I think these should be included in the new version.

I use the word Mod, but what I really mean is Addon.

Bob

Is it going to be necessary to upgrade to version 2? I notice with all the dates in the back end of the current version 1.3.5, they only go up to 2009. What will happen to all those people who want to stay with version 1.3.5. Is the date issue easily fixed?

[QUOTE]Is it going to be necessary to upgrade to version 2?[/QUOTE]

No it is not “necessary” to upgrade to version 2 if you don’t want to.

It’s your choice, like do you really need a new car or is the one you have working fine?

My motto has always been: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”…if your cart is working just the way you want it to and CS 2 offers you nothing that you absolutely need, why upgrade?

Upgrades are never absolutely necessary unless there is a “security” hole that an upgrade will fix.

[QUOTE]I notice with all the dates in the back end of the current version 1.3.5, they only go up to 2009. What will happen to all those people who want to stay with version 1.3.5. Is the date issue easily fixed?[/QUOTE]

I’m not too sure what “dates” you are referring to in the back end, can you be a little more specific and usually any issue with dates can be easily fixed.

[quote name=‘Lyn’]Is it going to be necessary to upgrade to version 2? I notice with all the dates in the back end of the current version 1.3.5, they only go up to 2009. What will happen to all those people who want to stay with version 1.3.5. Is the date issue easily fixed?[/QUOTE]

If I am not mistaken, it automatically adjusts.

When you go to “View Orders” the years in the drop down boxes only go up to 2009. I can’t see myself wanting to upgrade as there seems to be nothing the new version offers that would warrant the extra work in upgrading but the date issue was concerning me.

I am not going to upgrade either. Modifying design is lot trickier, mods I purchased are not compatible with 2.0