Weird Permissions

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]I did a search, but please forgive me, this is all so confusing to someone like me who doesn’t understand all the techie side of the cart and I need a simple answer

As far as I can tell, all folders need a 644 permission and I think the directory needs to be 755. Now I am not sure what the main “directory” is. Is it public_html ?

My site completely disappeared out of the search engines, and I think I now know why. All missing pages were coming back as a 403 instead of 404. I just looked at all the folders in the main directory and they are all set at “715”.

My 2nd website has all “711” permissions.

Please please tell me what I need to do and what EACH folder needs to be…[/COLOR] :confused:

Dawn, Depending on the PHP Server setting it can be anything.

Since you’ve moved hosting - contact them and ask them if you are using DSO or suPHP. Once we’ve got that, we can help.

My guess is that it hasn’t been changed, hence the folders and EVERYTHING under these folders should be 777

/images/

/skins/

/var/

Regards,

J.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Dawn, Depending on the PHP Server setting it can be anything.

Since you’ve moved hosting - contact them and ask them if you are using DSO or suPHP. Once we’ve got that, we can help.

My guess is that it hasn’t been changed, hence the folders and EVERYTHING under these folders should be 777

/images/

/skins/

/var/

Regards,

J.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Thanks Jesse…I emailed them but it often takes 24 hours or so to hear back. I knew they were all correct before, and was shocked to see them all changed & even differing from each other on both sites[/COLOR]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]One of the many people who work for my hosting company changed all the permissions for me. I am so glad they did, but I wish I knew if they used the sources you mentioned Jesse. Guess it doesn’t matter now.

But I have one other question, kinda off topic if that is permissible this one time. I noticed in the SmartOptimizer cache, there are a lot of .js & .gz files. I can’t recall is we were supposed to delete that folder every once in a while or not.

Thanks for your help ![/COLOR]

Hi Dawn,

Access your site through your FTP program and you can see what permissions they have setup for you on the Folders as well as Files, you should make note of this so that you can verify these settings in the future.

Examples might be, Folders (or Directories) = 755, Files = 644 (Or whatever your host set these as)

Regarding Smartoptimizer, it would be a good idea now that you are moved, to delete everything within the Smartoptimizer “Cache” Folder, don’t delete the folder, only the files within the cache folder. :wink:

[quote name=‘Struck’]Hi Dawn,

Access your site through your FTP program and you can see what permissions they have setup for you on the Folders as well as Files, you should make note of this so that you can verify these settings in the future.

Examples might be, Folders (or Directories) = 755, Files = 644 (Or whatever your host set these as)

Regarding Smartoptimizer, it would be a good idea now that you are moved, to delete everything within the Smartoptimizer “Cache” Folder, don’t delete the folder, only the files within the cache folder. ;)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Thanks Struck…you are wonderful as always :slight_smile:

So far all the folders were updated by my hosting company…but I will keep this info in mind if it happens again. I will also empty that cache folder asap.

I just found out that my other site in a subdirectory is loading at 4.4 seconds…which according to Google is not so hot. I will copy the SmartOptimizer folder and copy & paste the text from .htaccess that relates to it. Is there anything else I need to do ?[/COLOR]

[quote name=‘DawnG’][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Thanks Struck…you are wonderful as always :slight_smile:

So far all the folders were updated by my hosting company…but I will keep this info in mind if it happens again. I will also empty that cache folder asap.

I just found out that my other site in a subdirectory is loading at 4.4 seconds…which according to Google is not so hot. I will copy the SmartOptimizer folder and copy & paste the text from .htaccess that relates to it. Is there anything else I need to do ?[/COLOR][/quote]

Looks like your server doesn’t have mod deflate at this page rate.

Whats your sites url?

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Looks like your server doesn’t have mod deflate at this page rate.

Whats your sites url?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]www.artstyle-caketops.com

it is in a sub-directory of my main site so it is on the same server[/COLOR]