W3C CSS validation

Hi,

Has anyone managed to validate the CSS on the cart?

If so, any pointers on how it can be achieved? My client is demanding it to aid their SEO.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Ive had no problems getting it to validate in most cases. What errors are you getting? I know there is a weird captcha issue but otherwise Im not sure what else.

Hi Tirade,

Get quite a few: [url]http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.musicgeardirect.co.uk%2F&profile=css21&usermedium=all&warning=1&lang=en[/url]

Not sure if taking out references such as .cm-opacity etc. will affect the cart’s operability?

Thanks

It will indeed change the look of the cart as the majority of those errors are changes used to fix design compatibility issues with multiple browsers.

Taking a lot of them out can be done but you’ll need to do some additional work to fix things as you go. Im not sure if you can get 100% validated or not. Im sure it wont be easy.

A default cs-cart install only has a handful errors to my knowledge (until you start adding blocks).

Just test your store in multiple bowsers. If it works without errors, forget the W3C.

Hi, guess you’re right. It certainly works in all browsers tested on.

Just the client has an SEO company looking at it and they swear by CSS validation otherwise Google will penalise.

I think slight CSS errors in validation would have little or no affect if the site is relevant and has enough good quality inlinks.

I’ve looked at many top-ranking sites and they all have HTML/CSS errors yet good PageRank so I’d say the quality and relevancy of content far outweighs a few minor CSS errors…

[quote name=‘simonv74’]Just the client has an SEO company looking at it and they swear by CSS validation otherwise Google will penalise.[/quote]

NEVER… just they want to make a few bucks more… and of course, they must go this way, because they are a “SEO” company…

CSS validation has nothing to do with SEO. The problem arises when your code has errors that prevent it from being accurately crawled. There is a different between this type of error and a warning or version compatibility. You can safely ignore the errors that report back “This blah blah doesnt exist in CSS version x.x.x”

[quote name=‘simonv74’]Hi, guess you’re right. It certainly works in all browsers tested on.

Just the client has an SEO company looking at it and they swear by CSS validation otherwise Google will penalise.

I think slight CSS errors in validation would have little or no affect if the site is relevant and has enough good quality inlinks.

I’ve looked at many top-ranking sites and they all have HTML/CSS errors yet good PageRank so I’d say the quality and relevancy of content far outweighs a few minor CSS errors…[/QUOTE]

[quote name=‘Tirade’]CSS validation has nothing to do with SEO. The problem arises when your code has errors that prevent it from being accurately crawled. There is a different between this type of error and a warning or version compatibility. You can safely ignore the errors that report back “This blah blah doesnt exist in CSS version x.x.x”[/QUOTE]

Hi Tirade, thanks for this, I agree completely!

CSS validation is a waste of time. Since IE6 CSS had to be non-standard to have workarounds that strategically confuse some browsers into ignoring some values with syntax errors.

WC3 is a good way to review if the code you’ve written is valid, as for SEO → Tell them to stop drinking the coolaid.

If you wanna charge another thousand or so → Optimize with Google’s new speedtest plugin for use with firebug.

That’ll teach em to demand stuff!