VPS or Shared hosting

We are just planning a new CS-cart site.

I was wondering what would be the best server type to host it on for me.

My options are

1. VPS
  2. Shared hosting

To many of you the obvious answer might be VPS. However, to me its not so obvious -partly because I do not know enough about server technologies to manage a VPS server.

E.g. I would need to safeguard the server whilst my shared hosting provider would do it for me. Further, on a VPS I would have to restore it myself should anything happen. With shared hosting my host would re-cover it for me using the back-up from the previous day.

So if its not much in it then I would go for the shared hosting (I have a development copy of the site working just fine on the shared server).

What is your experience and thoughts on the subject??

Many thanks

Ola

VPS = Possibility of being oversold resulting with less resources that decent shared hosting providers can provide. The other way is completely opposite.

As you might be aware all websites I’m concerned with are with CyberLNC at the present moment and I can guarantee you that I’ve never had server issues resulting from limitations that were imposed by my last webhost.

[quote name=‘Ola’]We are just planning a new CS-cart site.

I was wondering what would be the best server type to host it on for me.

My options are

1. VPS
  2. Shared hosting

To many of you the obvious answer might be VPS. However, to me its not so obvious -partly because I do not know enough about server technologies to manage a VPS server.

E.g. I would need to safeguard the server whilst my shared hosting provider would do it for me. Further, on a VPS I would have to restore it myself should anything happen. With shared hosting my host would re-cover it for me using the back-up from the previous day.

So if its not much in it then I would go for the shared hosting (I have a development copy of the site working just fine on the shared server).

What is your experience and thoughts on the subject??

Many thanks

Ola[/QUOTE]

Ola, I’m in the same boat your in. I went with a shared sever with Cyberlnc.com . Site is extremely fast now. A lot quicker then Godaddy shared severs could ever provide.

I have a managed VPS with wiredtree and 24/7/365 fast telephone support.

I would never consider going back to a shared hosting plan.

If your site is small and your budget is not big a shared account can work.

Typically shared hosts that are small have good service but limited contact. If your website is important to you you really need fast as in within 5 minutes telephone support at all times unless you are an expert in websites in which case things can be slower.

With larger shared hosts you will have the possibility of phone support but you will often get low level support staff helping you and it is nice to have very smart experienced level 3 people helping you.

I looked at the site mentioned above and it did not seem to have 24/7/365 fast telephone support. Maybe it does? And the resources were not high for what you get.

People like Jesse are very good at solving problems on their own as they are very smart when it comes to fixing things.

“VPS = Possibility of being oversold resulting with less resources that decent shared hosting providers can provide. The other way is completely opposite.”

Very politely, I disagree with Jesse’s above statement.

In the hosting world you tend to get what you pay for and VPS accounts often cost more and you get more resources and better support if you go with a host that starts with a VPS account as their lowest level accounts.

When you go with a host that has a large shared hosting base that later expands to VPS and Dedicated accounts that is when you have problems.

I resell space on shared severs, have probably 15 or so of my own sites on this space.

Support response time is excellent, support staff are very helpful.

This makes it a low cost solution, I would not even consider VPS at the moment.

[quote name=‘Traveler’]

“VPS = Possibility of being oversold resulting with less resources that decent shared hosting providers can provide. The other way is completely opposite.”

Very politely, I disagree with Jesse’s above statement.

[/quote]

I ment to say “The other way can also be the complete opposite” but I agree with your response, it depends what you pay for, but also what you expect :wink:

Thank you all for your input. It helps me to make a decision. I’ll put it on a shared server for now.