Very confusing numbers in checkout

If I have a product discount and a cart discount it isn’t clear what’s being viewed on the totals.

For ex:

subtotal: $30.00

shipping cost: $14.22

Including discount: $10.00

Order discount: $3.00

NV Tax (8.1%): $3.59

-----------------------------------------

total cost:$44.81

So how do you get $44.81?

Subtotal + Shipping cost - order discount + tax.

All the items show up a different color, and the "Including discount" isn't even used, it's just showing savings from product discounts which are already reflected in the subtotal. Maybe if somewhere off to the side it just said "Total savings: $xxx". But it's just confusing. There should be minus signs in front of items that are subtracted or different colors at least.

I have suggested several times that only the amounts that affect the order total be reflected in the “Totals” area. The discount and reward points (points earned/used and points balance) should be displayed separately in an information block along with gift certificate balance (if a gift certificate is used).

I planned on adding this to the checkout thread (since the invoice totals should match the order totals displayed on-screen) when they finally post that in the Roadmap forum. Maybe we should start collecting ideas for the improved checkout now - they can use this as a basis for the official thread.

Bob

Display a simple message of “You Saved: $99.99 in Discounts!”

(This should be displayed in a small banner type image somewhat BELOW the Order Total line.)

And, as part of the subtotals calculations leading to the actual order total, it should read something like this:

(Less Discounts) -$99.99

The way CS-Cart currently displays a discount is about the absolute most confusing way I have ever come across, “Including discount: $10.00” , and to make it doubly improper, the discount amount was already deducted from the subtotal on a prior line, which of course always makes me think to myself… wtf ?

[quote name=‘Struck’]Display a simple message of “You Saved: $99.99 in Discounts!”[/QUOTE]

It still needs to be moved out of the totals block. The numbers in this area should sum to the total - if numbers are not part of that calculation, they do not belong in the totals block. The problem is that order discounts need to be displayed in this block but item discounts are already reflected in the subtotal.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]It still needs to be moved out of the totals block. The numbers in this area should sum to the total - if numbers are not part of that calculation, they do not belong in the totals block. The problem is that order discounts need to be displayed in this block but item discounts are already reflected in the subtotal.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Sorry Bob, I was still typing & proof reading my post while you replied (not enough sleep this week)! :confused:

But, yes, I am on the same page with your observations!