Version Control Help (Git)

Hi All,

I'd like to know how others are currently using version control with their add-ons.

When an add-on package is installed, it get's distributed around the app/addons, design etc directories, so it seems difficult to track the files for each add-on individually.

It would be great to hear how others are integrating version control into their workflow, particularly those working in a team contributing to an add-on.

Thanks!

Matthew

Hi All,

I'd like to know how others are currently using version control with their add-ons.

When an add-on package is installed, it get's distributed around the app/addons, design etc directories, so it seems difficult to track the files for each add-on individually.

It would be great to hear how others are integrating version control into their workflow, particularly those working in a team contributing to an add-on.

Thanks!

Matthew

Mathew,

there are two ways I know:

1) You store add-on in a separate folder and make symbolic links to it like this:

>ln -s /var/www/addons/my_addon/app/addons/my_addon /var/www/cscart/app/addons/my_addon
>ln -s /var/www/addons/my_addon/design/themes/responsive/templates/addons/my_addon /var/www/cscart/design/themes/responsive/templates/addons/my_addon

etc

In this case you work with your git repository from the /var/www/addons/my_addon/ folder.

We used this approach to have 2 repositories. first for CS-Cart installation, and second for all additional add-ons.

2) Is not the Jedi way, but still used by some of the developers.
Have a bash script that copy all the add-on folders to the place where add-ons git repository is initiated (that could be the same /var/www/addons/my_addon folder) and use this script from time to time, to get the latest version of the add-on and commit it.

I think the first way is more reliable and handy.