VAT on licence purchase - wrong?

Hi,

I’ve just purchased a licence for a new store I’ve set up; went to the payment screen, $185 equated to £128.99, entered card details and pressed submit.

Then, to my horror, I see that UK VAT at 17.5% had been added to the order AFTER I had previewed the original amount and pressed submit.

No valid VAT reg no. on any invoice anywhere. It’s an offence to charge VAT without a number. Notwithstanding the fact that this money is going to Russia - will it ever get to the UK treasury?

Anyone else experienced this underhand practice?

Try to get in touch with CS first. Forum isn’t good for your question. If in doubt, ask your CC issuer to cancel the transaction and wait for CS to respond.

You must be able to see the total amount before pressing the Submit button. If you’re in the UK, where VAT is 17.5% this could be OK but still, you should see the total before paying. Did you get any invoice?

Hi Noman,

Yes, I contacted them but no response.

I have had one invoice for $185 and another one for £128.99 + the VAT.

No VAT reg numbers anywhere.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

Frankly getting a bit sick of CS Cart now; they are going the way of X Cart with poor service and quoting rip-off prices for small mods.

[quote name=‘simonv74’]

Frankly getting a bit sick of CS Cart now; they are going the way of X Cart with poor service and quoting rip-off prices for small mods.[/QUOTE]

Yea simple mods start at 400-500$

I was always defending CS guys, but recently they quoted me 360$ + for a payment gateway which is already available on dozens of e-shops. Even the biggest competitors of CS have this one included for free. I think, they’re slowly loosing control. And when they realise this, they will need to work twice hard to get back to the same level of trust they had in the past. People will start write bad reviews where possible and this means - lost money big time.

But this subject is for another thread.

[quote name=‘Noman’]I was always defending CS guys, but recently they quoted me 360$ + for a payment gateway which is already available on dozens of e-shops. Even the biggest competitors of CS have this one included for free. I think, they’re slowly loosing control. And when they realise this, they will need to work twice hard to get back to the same level of trust they had in the past. People will start write bad reviews where possible and this means - lost money big time.

But this subject is for another thread.[/QUOTE]

I quoted for mod that would print exact item name, id and price even that product is deleted from shop. Now if product is removed, in customers order details page they would see - product deleted - that is totally unacceptable! Was asked ~400$

It is a contract between seller and buyer, product stock information or availability should not affect product list in order details page.

What if you change status to “hide” the unavailable product?

[quote name=‘Darius’]I quoted for mod that would print exact item name, id and price even that product is deleted from shop. Now if product is removed, in customers order details page they would see - product deleted - that is totally unacceptable! Was asked ~400$

It is a contract between seller and buyer, product stock information or availability should not affect product list in order details page.[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone.

Update to my case.

Apparently they can legally charge this ‘tax’.

[url]http://home.plimus.com/ecommerce/buyers/buyers-faq#vat[/url]

Funny how all my previous purchases never attracted this ‘tax’.

Beware everyone; it’s a stealthy way to add an extra 17.5% to line their pockets.

Thoroughly disgusted and will never buy another thing from these thieves.

Hold on.

Plimus is NOT CS. My thought is this tax is charged by Plimus, their payment gateway provider, not CS.

So before you blame CS lets find out for sure. I will try to get a response for you asap.

Their FAQ says this:

If you’re a VAT registered company, you can claim it back when paying yours. And also, you pass it onto your VAT customer. The only one who suffers is the end user or a company which is not VAT registered. VAT is never yours and never will be.

[quote name=‘Noman’]What if you change status to “hide” the unavailable product?[/QUOTE]

Most of my products are unique, sold - removed, new product new description. I think site becomes slower with 2000-3000 hidden products, ~2000 active products…

They’ve refunded me the full amount, with a link to pay again without the ‘tax’.

My issue was with the fact that it was applied after the submit button was pressed.

I’ve advised them to update their checkout procedure accordingly.

I still am dubious however, due to the fact that this ‘tax’ has never been charged to me before, despite numerous licence purchases in the recent past.