v2.1 running very slow

I applied Alexions patch and I am happy with the results, site speed is snappy fast - Sno

The applied patch is magical. thank you very much.

Anything for lazy bastards who do not want to go with 2.1.0 yet? Will this work with 2.0.15?

I don’t think lazy is the right work. Perhaps cautious.

[quote name=‘Net-burst’]Can someone explain why exactly new version was slower? What was improved in caching? In my test store I see constant max cpu utilization of php process when I try to do something. For me, cache associates with disk io :)[/QUOTE]

Based on the fix above, it appears that everytime a template was accessed, all the addons were scanned and the ‘override’ pages were cached (for every template access). The fix seems to check if the override is cached once per page load. If it is, it is used. If it is NOT cached (and no reference to it) then the addons are scanned for overrides related to that template.

This still does NOT address the HUGE number of files that are stored in the cache directory, most of which relate to filters and other infrequently used data. It takes a long time to find a file in a directory of 1000 files not to mention the impact on the underlying server and other websites that might be contending for the same resources.

Using the PDO version of the registry helps, but there are issues with it where it does not update correctly and requires cache clears where it shouldn’t (like open and close of store). But the performance improvement is SIGNIFICANT with the method of data caching used (well designed, poorly utilized).

[quote name=‘Noman’]Anything for lazy bastards who do not want to go with 2.1.0 yet? Will this work with 2.0.15?[/QUOTE]

Template overrides (actually any hook) is not cached in 2.0.15. They are accessed in real-time if they exist.

So no, there is no fix for 2.0.15. However, if you count the number of “hooks” in the standard distribution, you’ll find there are only 35 overrides, 19 pre’s and 66 post’s. That’s a total of 120 hooks that “might” be applied to a page. Small potatoes in comparison to the number of cache entries for filters and product features.

I’ve found that using the PDO registry helps speed significantly and also the underlying server load. However, they really need to focus on reducing the number of cache entries (files in non PDO registry environments). A small store (2000 products) with well established filters and product features will result in over 1000 cache file entries in the var/cache directory.

Each time a page is loaded, the cached data is read (in case it’s needed). Scanning the directory to find the right cache file in a directory containing over 1000 files takes a huge amount of resource as well as a long time. Note that the directory is scanned for EVERY cache entry that is requested on EVERY page load Throw in the ajax used on page loads and you end up doubling and tripling the file IO needed for a given page load…

Can’t seem to find

Open this file: /core/fn.control.php

find the fn_addon_template_overrides function

[quote name=‘zeero6’]Can’t seem to find

Open this file: /core/fn.control.php

find the fn_addon_template_overrides function[/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly it was the last function in the file.

Thanks

i even did a search and can not find the word overrides in that file

or

fn_addon_template

maybe that is why its slow…

Do you even have 2.1 ?