USPS real-time shipping - How do you calc for more than 1 box?

I want to start taking international orders and the cheapest way to ship those orders is via USPS. UPS and FedEx are just too outrageous. However, I am having difficulty setting up my USPS shipping option in such a way that I am not going to lose money on shipping when it comes to the larger orders. I sell bedding and the larger sets ship in their own box. Small accessories can ship with them, but if someone orders 2 8pc bedding sets, they are going to ship in 2 separate boxes. I can control this easily using UPS shipping because it has the “max box weight” setting that I can configure to force another box once the weight reaches a certain level. However, USPS doesn't seem to have that option. (WHY? idk…) I have tried using the box dimensions on the product page, but that does not seem to help at all. So, currently, if a customer orders 2 or more bedding sets, I wind up eating it on shipping costs because the cart won't calculate them correctly. Has anyone else dealt with this issue or have any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer,

[quote]but if someone orders 2 8pc bedding sets, they are going to ship in 2 separate boxes.[/quote]

Why would you not combine these two items into one single parcel & calculate the rates accordingly? (No way are you exceeding any carrier weight limitations, and the cost savings for 1 parcel vs. 2 will be immense for any type of air related shipment.)

[quote name='Struck' timestamp='1317328020' post='122620']

Jennifer,

Why would you not combine these two items into one single parcel & calculate the rates accordingly? (No way are you exceeding any carrier weight limitations, and the cost savings for 1 parcel vs. 2 will be immense for any type of air related shipment.)

[/quote]

I can combine them on some items, but some of the 8pc King and Queen sets are quite large. If 1 set ships in a 24x24x12 package, then, I would have to go to a 24x24x24 box to fit 2 and I think that would exceed the girth for Express Mail Int'l, which is the option I am looking at. (Priority Mail Int'l doesn't provide point by point tracking from what I am told.) Then, if they order more than 2, there's no doubt another box would be necessary.

For some reason the max box weight doesn't work with USPS. It works for UPS and Fedex fine, but not USPS. I believe this was put into the bug tracker, but I don't know if it was ever fixed. I haven't tested it on 2.2.3 so I'm just not sure.

I know that doesn't help, but at least you know it isn't just you.

Thanks,

Brandon