User Group and Promotions - Questions

Hi,

I configured a new customer user group. I then created a promotion, that if the customer purchases any product from a specific category, they will become a member of this group [Give User Group as Bonus}. I then created a promotion that if a customer is a member of this group and they purchase items from a specific category, then they will receive a percentage discount for items in that category. The cart will show the discount.

If a new customer i purchases the item from the appropriate category, the cart says " Congratulation you have been assigned the user group"

My problem is that at this point, the customer is not logged in and has no account. If they user Amazon or PayPal Express, they leave the cart and may never create an account.

I tested this and continued the purchase as a Guest and never made an account.

The invoice for this test purchase, in the promotion tab, indicates the new group was assigned. But, there is no account.

It seems like the only way you can assign a customer to a group is when they actually go through the cs-cart check out process and create an account. The 30-40% of my customer that use Amazon Payments or PayPal may never create an account. They would see the notice that their received the Promotion (made member of a group), but I don’t see how this would work.

Basically, I want to reward customer who purchased from a certain category discounts on future purchases from that category.

I find that 50% or less of my customers ever create an account.

Can someone please let me know if I understand the Group and Promotion aspect of this and possibly how you would do what I want to achieve. I am trying to automate the process without having to send out coupons and emails in order to give these customers the discount.

Thank you,

Bob

[quote]

My problem is that at this point, the customer is not logged in and has no account. If they user Amazon or PayPal Express, they leave the cart and may never create an account.

[/quote]

All sounds like you did things correctly, however, I believe the application of the promotion is incorrect. It should not even try to add the user to a group since the user doesn’t exist. The message should probably say something like “Sorry, this promotion is only available to registered users. Would you like to register?” and then prompt you…

tbirnseth,

Yes, what you said makes since. But, when I tested as a new customer, not logged in, I was advised in the cart that I was assigned to the new group. The group is also noted when viewing the invoice in the admin.

Does not make sense to me.

Thank you,

Bob

Of course not… It’s a bug. The promotion should not be available to assign to a group unless the user is logged in.

I have a question that sort of is in the same league.

I want to make a coupon that can only be used once per customer. But what happens if someone checks out as a guest? The coupon appears to work, and I assume they will be able to use it again the next time because they don't have an account.

Does anyone know how cs-cart handles this?

[quote name='Flow' timestamp='1320920061' post='125680']

I have a question that sort of is in the same league.

I want to make a coupon that can only be used once per customer. But what happens if someone checks out as a guest? The coupon appears to work, and I assume they will be able to use it again the next time because they don't have an account.

Does anyone know how cs-cart handles this?

[/quote]

I think it uses the email address to determine the user, so even when they checkout as a guest it uses their email.

john

[quote name=‘johnbol1’ timestamp=‘1320947288’ post=‘125720’]

I think it uses the email address to determine the user, so even when they checkout as a guest it uses their email.

john

[/quote]

Ah that seems kinda logical. Too bad most people have 5 email adresses, but I guess I can live with that ;)

Could also use the IP or stored session of the user which combines IP Address, SESSION_ID, etc…

[quote name=‘Flow’ timestamp=‘1320949160’ post=‘125722’]

Ah that seems kinda logical. Too bad most people have 5 email adresses, but I guess I can live with that ;)

[/quote]

yeah us too, we thought well, 5 sales with 10% off is better than 1 with 10% none off