Use Inventory Tracking Without Showing Stock Numbers?

Is it possible to use inventory tracking, but not allow the number in stock to appear on the product details page? I need this. Please help. Thanks.

Take a look at the first post in the following thread:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=11693[/url]

Bob

Thanks Bob. I’d rather not mess with the underlying code, though, so if just saying “Available” instead of “5 items in stock” isn’t a simple switch in admin (which it should be), I’ll probably end up just turning inventory off.

There is no simple switch to choose the way inventory is displayed.

Bob

OK I am going to try the method you posted above.

In the post you directed me to, it starts by saying, “enable demo mode.” How do I do that?

Go to Design->Design mode and then hit the “Enable customization mode” button. Choose the “View storefront in customization mode” and then hover over the box in the corner and click the link for views/products/components/buy_now.tpl.

You can make the same changes using any text editor by changing /skins/YOURSKIN/customer/views/products/components/buy_now.tpl. Make a backup of this file and you won’t need to worry if you make a mistake.

Note that you will need to make some additional changes if your products use options. They are explained post #9 & #10 of the same thread.

Let us know if you get stuck.

Bob

OK got that part figured out. Now, if you can give me the “dummies” version (i.e. break down into more understandable steps) of the following, I think I can whip this:

You can edit it how you like but you will also need to create language variables as well:

stock - need to create - I replace in stock

available - already in languages - Can substitute for Yes

unavailable - need to create - Can substitute for No

Thanks so much for your help.

[quote name=‘kingsleypress’]OK got that part figured out. Now, if you can give me the “dummies” version (i.e. break down into more understandable steps) of the following, I think I can whip this:

You can edit it how you like but you will also need to create language variables as well:

stock - need to create - I replace in stock

available - already in languages - Can substitute for Yes

unavailable - need to create - Can substitute for No

[/QUOTE]

You need to go to Content->Languages and click the “Add new language variable” button to create the variables for stock and unavailable:

language variable, Value

stock, Stock

unavailable, Unavailable

That should be it. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Bob

OK got that working! Thanks so much for your time Bob!

Now on to wish lists and gift registries. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE]Go to Design->Design mode and then hit the “Enable customization mode” button. Choose the “View storefront in customization mode” and then hover over the box in the corner and click the link for views/products/components/buy_now.tpl.

You can make the same changes using any text editor by changing /skins/YOURSKIN/customer/views/products/components/buy_now.tpl. Make a backup of this file and you won’t need to worry if you make a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for all the explanantions! very helpfull!

I did not find a way to rename a file for backing it up on the server.

Or do we have to backup local?

Also do not understand how RESTORE FROM REPOSITORY functions…

It just loads the saved file. Is this correct?

Progressing… but slowly. Thanks for your patience.

Ditto on the RESTORE FROM REPOSITORY. Do we have to backup templates before modifying to have an unmodified copy? I thought the repository already had unmodified copies of everything until I tried to restore one. Luckily I didn’t modify so much that I couldn’t repair it manually.

[quote name=‘aerofan’]Thanks a lot for all the explanantions! very helpfull!

I did not find a way to rename a file for backing it up on the server.

Or do we have to backup local?

Also do not understand how RESTORE FROM REPOSITORY functions…

It just loads the saved file. Is this correct?

Progressing… but slowly. Thanks for your patience.[/QUOTE]

You can make a backup copy of a file using either your FTP program (usually has a duplicate file) or make a copy using your server Control Panel (e.g., the file manager in cPanel).

Bob

[quote name=‘marvinjh’]Ditto on the RESTORE FROM REPOSITORY. Do we have to backup templates before modifying to have an unmodified copy? I thought the repository already had unmodified copies of everything until I tried to restore one. Luckily I didn’t modify so much that I couldn’t repair it manually.[/QUOTE]

You can always restore from the repository if you want the file as it was orogonally delivered by the developers. If you have made any changes, you need to do your own backup.

Bob

Thanks Bob!