URL, Google, and proper SEO

Above Ground and Inground Pools | Pool Supplies Canada

Currently google has picked up this URL

I cant figure out how they picked it up but we are on linux and want to make it so it doesnt other with second pages or the number of items per page.

What would be the best method to do this?

HTaccess? URL rewrite? or something in webmaster tools?

Greg Laver

Pool Supplies Canada

Non-canonical URL's are the issue… CS-Cart Rocks have an add-on for this, as does WebGraphiq.

I have used CS-Cart Rocks version in the past and it did the job, definitely worth the price tag given the benefits the addon gives in search rankings.

Why does everything needs to be fixed with addons and tweaks on CS-cart? In my opinion (and im no expert) there is something seriously wrong with how CS-cart is getting indexed. I have around 400 products in my cart and Google have indexed over 9000 pages and 30 000 is blocked by robots. Thats some chunk of duplicated pages, and cant be good for SEO.

I went from Interspire Shopping Cart in december, and as you can see in the pics after the switch it just went crazy. I have no idea of what to do. I have tried blocking just about everything in the robots-file, but still its way to many indexed pages.

And why dosent CS-Cart use more "nofollow"on internal links. The number of links on every single page is way to high.

So if anyone have ideas of how to get rid of the duplicates it much appreciated.

This is my robots:

Disallow: /images/thumbnails/

Disallow: /addons/

Disallow: /cgi-bin/

Disallow: /controllers/

Disallow: /core/

Disallow: /index.php?dispatch=auth

Disallow: /js/

Disallow: /lib/

Disallow: /skins/

Disallow: /payments/

Disallow: /schemas/

Disallow: /shippings/

Disallow: /skins/

Disallow: /store_closed.html

Disallow: /var/

Disallow: /config.php

Disallow: /config.local.php

Disallow: /init.php

Disallow: /php.ini

Disallow: /prepare.php

Disallow: /*sl=EN

Disallow: /*sl=NO

Disallow: /*currency=

Disallow: /*sort_by=

Disallow: /*layout=

Using 'nofollow' is the wrong way to stop a search engine crawling and indexing a page. You need to add canonical tags. CS-Cart did address a lot of issues with 'nofollow' in V2.?.? but only a few days ago I posted further fixes for items which should be 'nofollow' as default. The meta canonical tag should be used in instances like these:

```php

```
For URL's:
```php
http://www.yourshop/category/
http://www.yourshop/category/page-2/?items_per_page=12
http://www.yourshop/category/page-3/?items_per_page=12
http://www.yourshop/category/page-4/?items_per_page=12
```

Google has completely changed how nofollow works.

canonical works well like stellar describes, but what we really need is www.schema.org html tags applied properly throughout CS-Cart.

Alt-Team provide an add-on for Google rich snippets which works on the same principles, but it doesn't cover every content type that the schema would cover in CS-Cart, it is only targetted at products. Good basis though, and definitely beneficial.

Thanks for answering, StellarBytes!

Canonical tags is most likely the way to do it, but my point in the above post is, why do CS-Cart shop-owners have to deal with this stuff all the time. It seems to be poor codewriting in the first place. Constant code edits and add-ons just make the cart a pain to maintain and update. Buying a third party add-on now also seems a bit risky, as we don´t now if they will work in the soon to be released 3.1.1-update.

[quote name='Onkel_Sid' timestamp='1360849112' post='155272']

Thanks for answering, StellarBytes!

Canonical tags is most likely the way to do it, but my point in the above post is, why do CS-Cart shop-owners have to deal with this stuff all the time. It seems to be poor codewriting in the first place. Constant code edits and add-ons just make the cart a pain to maintain and update. Buying a third party add-on now also seems a bit risky, as we don´t now if they will work in the soon to be released 3.1.1-update.

[/quote]

Agreed. With regards to the 3.1.1 update, by the look of it, it is likely addons currently compatible with v3 will require updating to work with v3.0.5. I'd like to think that is not the case, but given the core changes and hierarchy changes, addons will at least require a small degree of changes to work with v3.1.1. The good news is the majority of addon developers offer free upgrades for a set period of time - this is still a risk, considering there is no current release date for 3.1.1.

Personally, I won't be updating anything on the V3 front until 3.1.1 is available at least in beta form.