UPS & USPS Shipping Estimate Accuracy?

Has anyone found that you need to add UPS & USPS shipping markups to ensure you’re not losing money on shipping? With X-Cart we’ve always had to add shipping markups as their UPS and USPS modules do not accurately estimate the shipping cost; in favor of the customer, so we were loosing money on shipping. Is this an issue with CS-Cart 1.3.5-sp-2? If so what are the UPS & USPS markups that we need to add to only ensure we’re not losing money?

Are your items oversized or subject to UPS’s Additional Handling fee? Or do your shipments often need to ship in more than a single box? Are you adding the extra fee for shipping insurance on shipments over $100? All of these will cause your cart-computed shipping amount to be understated.

Our UPS shipping estimates in both CS-Cart and X-Cart have generally matched the UPS’s online shipping calculator with the exception of the above.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]Are your items oversized or subject to UPS’s Additional Handling fee? Or do your shipments often need to ship in more than a single box? Are you adding the extra fee for shipping insurance on shipments over $100? All of these will cause your cart-computed shipping amount to be understated.

Our UPS shipping estimates in both CS-Cart and X-Cart have generally matched the UPS’s online shipping calculator with the exception of the above.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Q. “Are your items oversized or subject to UPS’s Additional Handling fee?”

A. No

Q. “Or do your shipments often need to ship in more than a single box?”

A. No

Q. “Are you adding the extra fee for shipping insurance on shipments over $100?”

A. No

[quote name=‘mayanetwork’]Q. “Are you adding the extra fee for shipping insurance on shipments over $100?”

A. No[/QUOTE]

I was not very clear in my question so I just want to confirm: Do your packages typically have a declared value over $100? If so, you need to add the additional insurance charge for the declared value over $100 (this is for UPS, I do not know about USPS).

I just ran some tests in CS-Cart and compared the calculated shipping in CS-Cart to the shipping calculated at the UPS online calculator ([url]Calculate Time and Cost: UPS - United States) and they all came up right on the nose.

A couple of other thoughts (although you have probably already checked them):

1. Do the weights on your products include any packaging/shipping materials? This can add to the cost especially if you have heavy packaging.

2. Are you shipping the products from the same postal code as that specified in the Default Location in General Settings? If not, there could be discrepancies there as well.

3. Have you checked the checked the Pickup type and Package type in the Shipping settings got UPS.

Bob

The calculations are accurate, just be sure to include a bit extra for incidentals such as insurance (which can be set via rules on order value) and weight of packaging materials.

Mine is charging way TOO MUCH when customer buy a lot!

My shipping for USPS is right on for the total item weight. I did have to mod fn_cart.php to add a weight surcharge for the box and packing. I still need to add another mod to fn_rtsrc.php for international when I ship using First Class Mail International. Since this rate will go to 4 pounds, I use boxes if the order weighs more than 1 pound. The weight of the box is two ounces and I’m undercharging right now.

I would like to see the ability for CSC to handling flat-rate boxes at both the regular size and large size. I had to mod CSC to add up dimensional weight for each item because of the 1 cubic foot restriction with USPS.

I think the USPS section in CSC needs a rewrite because it doesn’t take into account dimensional weight, flat rate boxes (domestic or international), first class mail international, and insurance. When I upgrade my current version of CSC, I’m looking at several days again to mod the code to make it work correctly (I shouldn’t have to do this.) To get dimensional weight real time quotes, the box (container size) needs to be sent along with the total weight. My current CSC version required me to write a best fit box routine so box sizes can be sent to USPS for accurate rate quotes. I access a MySQL table contains a list of shipping box dimensions and their weight I use. I can see why people are loosing money on shipping using the stock version of CSC. Not good.

my ups doesn’t calculate over 150lb. Any help?

[quote name=‘grabbags’]my ups doesn’t calculate over 150lb. Any help?[/QUOTE]UPS max weight is 150 pounds:

[url]Page Not Found | UPS - United States

You might want to look into UPS Freight. They offer LTL. You might look at a mod for Freightquote.com to add their real time shipping qoutes via their API. Here is a link about it on the OScommerce forum:

[url]Forums - osCommerce Community Forum

[quote name=‘sculptingstudio’]UPS max weight is 150 pounds:

[url]Page Not Found | UPS - United States

[/quote]

Thanks, Larry. However, I assume the module should allow us to split boxes. (For example, 50lbs per box)

I also have another shopping cart that is oscommerce based. it doesn’t have any problem handling large orders.

[quote]You might want to look into UPS Freight. They offer LTL. You might look at a mod for Freightquote.com to add their real time shipping qoutes via their API. Here is a link about it on the OScommerce forum:

[url]Forums - osCommerce Community Forum

No mather what … I will look at the others your referred. Thank you!

[quote name=‘grabbags’]Thanks, Larry. However, I assume the module should allow us to split boxes. (For example, 50lbs per box)

I also have another shopping cart that is oscommerce based. it doesn’t have any problem handling large orders.

[/QUOTE]

The lack of the ability to “box” orders is definitely a shortcoming in CS-Cart’s shipping modules. There is a commercial mod available from Topcoderpro.com that addresses this to some degree. You can find more info at:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=7922[/url]

Hopefully we will see better multi-package and dimensional weight support in a future upgrade.

Bob

[quote name=‘jobosales’]The lack of the ability to “box” orders is definitely a shortcoming in CS-Cart’s shipping modules. There is a commercial mod available from Topcoderpro.com that addresses this to some degree. You can find more info at:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=7922[/url]

Hopefully we will see better multi-package and dimensional weight support in a future upgrade.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Bob.