UPS Negotiated Rates

I was having some problems getting my UPS Negotiated rates in the cart, after talking to UPS tech support, there was a couple problems in the request that UPS receives and after correcting them I'm now able to get my negotiated rates, so I was wondering if anyone using UPS negotiated rates is actually getting the correct rates without doing any modification on the xml file .

Thank you

Joe

[quote name='gasngrills' timestamp='1318362626' post='123460']

I was having some problems getting my UPS Negotiated rates in the cart, after talking to UPS tech support, there was a couple problems in the request that UPS receives and after correcting them I'm now able to get my negotiated rates, so I was wondering if anyone using UPS negotiated rates is actually getting the correct rates without doing any modification on the xml file .

Thank you

Joe

[/quote]

Hi jeo

we have the same problem in the last five days. How did you solve the problem?

Thanks

[quote name='mirac' timestamp='1318871170' post='123893']

Hi jeo

we have the same problem in the last five days. How did you solve the problem?

Thanks

[/quote]

in the shipping/ups.php file

This line : This was noted by UPS Tech support and they think this was the problem

change To:

after I made this change I still did not get my rates, so I checked further and changed this line of code:

$destination_postal
$destination_country

$shipper

To this :

$origination_postal
$origination_country

$shipper

After I made this change , I started getting my negotiated rates. I'm not sure if this change is right or wrong, so I was asking if anyone here have been getting the negotiated rates without making any change, but no replies .

Joe

What does the value of $shipper turn out to be in your example? Otherwise your changes look correct (based on names) and changing the single quotes to double quotes would make it XML compliant.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1319004083' post='124029']

What does the value of $shipper turn out to be in your example? Otherwise your changes look correct (based on names) and changing the single quotes to double quotes would make it XML compliant.

[/quote]

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the value of $shipper , but looking at the code in the ups.php file there are $shipper , then there is and as well, to me the the shipper should be orinination and not destination , so I changed it and has worked since, I actually posted this in the bug tracker just to see if this was correct, but my post was completely ignored .

Joe

Looks like $shipper contains the XML for whether to use negotiated rates or not and uses your UPC shipper ID.

So I'd guess that if UPS is accepting it and you're getting the results you expect, then leave well enough alone.

Check your Administration/Logs for http requests to ups and look at what's being sent and the response. That will give you all the gory details. But you might have to turn logging on for http requests in the settings area of the Logs page.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1319312279' post='124321']

Looks like $shipper contains the XML for whether to use negotiated rates or not and uses your UPC shipper ID.

So I'd guess that if UPS is accepting it and you're getting the results you expect, then leave well enough alone.

Check your Administration/Logs for http requests to ups and look at what's being sent and the response. That will give you all the gory details. But you might have to turn logging on for http requests in the settings area of the Logs page.

[/quote]

The only way I get my negotiated rates is when I made the change to those 2 lines, changing destination to origination , I wish somebody who is using UPS negotiated rates can tell us if it is working correctly without making any changes to the file.

Logically, without your changes, it would appear that it would use the destination as both the origin and destination. I can't see where that would have anything to do with negotiated rates, but it certainly would affect any delivery rates.

As I said above, I would look at your logs to see what's being sent to UPS and to look for the NegotiaedRateIndicator in the xml data that's being sent.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1319402770' post='124394']

Logically, without your changes, it would appear that it would use the destination as both the origin and destination. I can't see where that would have anything to do with negotiated rates, but it certainly would affect any delivery rates.

As I said above, I would look at your logs to see what's being sent to UPS and to look for the NegotiaedRateIndicator in the xml data that's being sent.

[/quote]

I did look in the logs to see what was sent and the response as well, when the request is sent without the changes , I get an error that the account is not qualified to receive negotiated rates where it should be( account,login id and access key have negotiated rates attached to them) and the published rates are in there, but when I made the change the response comes back as it should be, by default any request that is sent to UPS , they will return the published rates unless the negotiated rates are requested by using the NegotiaedRateIndicator then you will get both published and negotiated rates in the response .

I posted this in the bug tracker just to see CS Cart take on this if my changes were correct and it got ignored as expected.

Joe

Generally a status of “Unconfirmed” means they are looking into it but haven't determined the actual status yet.

It would be VERY awkward if the destination versus origin issue is valid. This would make all UPS rates invalid and cost many people a lot of money.

I'm sure they will address it given that the XML spec states that attributes must be inclosed in double-quotes, not single.

Just because they haven't responded yet doesn't mean you're being ignored. It means they haven't gotten to it yet when looking at the priority of things…

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1319673863' post='124612']

It would be VERY awkward if the destination versus origin issue is valid. This would make all UPS rates invalid and cost many people a lot of money.

[/quote]

I agree with you , I'm sure many people are using UPS and are getting Negotiated Rates without making any changes , so I'm sure its got to be something else in my case, but the changes made it work so I'm keeping it for now.

Looking at the code, the Shipment->Shipper stuff should be using the shipper_number (your UPS shipper code) info setup in the setups and then it fills in the NegotiatedRateIndicator if it is setup.

So your single quote issue is probably what's breaking things unless UPS is verifying the shippers zip code against the shipper_code. In any event, your changes appear to be correct.

I don't think most people use negotiated rates (broad generalization using words like most), but I'm sure there are many who would notice. Not sure why anyone would want to pass on their negotiated rates to customers. I'd rather give them the wholesale rate (package pickup) and the call the difference between wholesale and negotiated as profit.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1319683540' post='124629']

Looking at the code, the Shipment->Shipper stuff should be using the shipper_number (your UPS shipper code) info setup in the setups and then it fills in the NegotiatedRateIndicator if it is setup.

So your single quote issue is probably what's breaking things unless UPS is verifying the shippers zip code against the shipper_code. In any event, your changes appear to be correct.

I don't think most people use negotiated rates (broad generalization using words like most), but I'm sure there are many who would notice. Not sure why anyone would want to pass on their negotiated rates to customers. I'd rather give them the wholesale rate (package pickup) and the call the difference between wholesale and negotiated as profit.

[/quote]

Hi Tim,

Changing the single quote to double quote did not solve the problem for me until I changed the other 2 lines.

I use negotiated rates only on few shipping methods mainly for international shipping where the difference between published and negotiated is more than 50% , I started offering few products for International customers and if I want to get any business I must use the lower shipping cost otherwise the sales won't be there. Since I started using my negotiated rates my international sales have increased by 70%, I do add few dollars to cover my shipping supplies to those shipping methods.

Joe

Joe,

[quote]I use negotiated rates only on few shipping methods[/quote]

After recently re-negotiating our rates, my business is now using Fedex for the majority of our shipping services, so I cannot verify this for you… However, when you have time try setting ALL of your individual UPS shipping methods to receive “Negotiated rates” and see if you are then rcvng the correct rates on the methods that were not being priced correctly. (It was as if something in the code was overriding the individual settings for the Negotiated rates, as in all or nothing!)

I am going by memory & recall this as being a possible issue we came across a few months back while setting up UPS realtime rates.

If after making this change you then start receiving the correct rates, you can add surcharges to certain individual shipping methods to fine tune the actual customer shipping charges to your exact preference.

[quote name='Struck' timestamp='1319736943' post='124683']

Joe,

After recently re-negotiating our rates, my business is now using Fedex for the majority of our shipping services, so I cannot verify this for you… However, when you have time try setting ALL of your individual UPS shipping methods to receive “Negotiated rates” and see if you are then rcvng the correct rates on the methods that were not being priced correctly. (It was as if something in the code was overriding the individual settings for the Negotiated rates, as in all or nothing!)

I am going by memory & recall this as being a possible issue we came across a few months back while setting up UPS realtime rates.

If after making this change you then start receiving the correct rates, you can add surcharges to certain individual shipping methods to fine tune the actual customer shipping charges to your exact preference.

[/quote]

Struck , where have you been, I Knew you can chip in here and offer your advise, I will try it and report back. Do you mind to tell me why you are using FedEx now? I was with UPS and went to FedEx and came back to UPS . I could not deal with FedEx billing and the daily reports that made my life a living hell trying to figure out what I was being charged for plus UPS offered me good rates.

[quote name='Struck' timestamp='1319736943' post='124683']

Joe,

However, when you have time try setting ALL of your individual UPS shipping methods to receive “Negotiated rates” and see if you are then rcvng the correct rates on the methods that were not being priced correctly. (It was as if something in the code was overriding the individual settings for the Negotiated rates, as in all or nothing!)

[/quote]

I have changed the file back and set all my real time UPS shipping methods to receive negotiated rates , but no joy, the only way I can get the correct rates is when I make the change to those 2 lines in the ups.php file . I do have few manual shipping methods defined by location, that should not make a difference or does it?

[quote]Struck , where have you been[/quote]

Joe, didn’t you rcv your notification that the recession was officially over? B)

[quote]Do you mind to tell me why you are using FedEx now? I was with UPS and went to FedEx and came back to UPS . I could not deal with FedEx billing and the daily reports that made my life a living hell trying to figure out what I was being charged for plus UPS offered me good rates.[/quote]

Strictly cost savings. Lets face it, there are only two players, and they are both very good at what they do… AKA: Monopoly, So, we make it an annual event to give the looser the opportunity to retain our business, and we keep the criteria real simple for the reps. To me it is just a serious game dealing with these people. :)

I am curious to hear what you discover with your negotiated rates, I am pretty certain my memory is good regarding the oddity I mentioned above, hope it helps. ;)

[quote]I have changed the file back and set all my real time UPS shipping methods to receive negotiated rates , but no joy, the only way I can get the correct rates is when I make the change to those 2 lines in the ups.php file . I do have few manual shipping methods defined by location, that should not make a difference or does it?[/quote]

Did you clear your cache after putting the original (unmodified files) back in place? (The UPS Realtime rates are cached as shown in the code.)

The manual shipping methods you mention should not have any effect unless you have some sort of location overlap going on, you could quickly de-activate those just while you are testing to be certain.

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1319751442’ post=‘124706’]

Joe, didn’t you rcv your notification that the recession was officially over? B)

Strictly cost savings. Lets face it, there are only two players, and they are both very good at what they do… AKA: Monopoly, So, we make it an annual event to give the looser the opportunity to retain our business, and we keep the criteria real simple for the reps. To me it is just a serious game dealing with these people. :)

I am curious to hear what you discover with your negotiated rates, I am pretty certain my memory is good regarding the oddity I mentioned above, hope it helps. ;)

[/quote]

I must have missed that notification :P Things don’t look too good out there and I think we are going into another recession.

sounds like you have it figured out with those guys , to me it is much easier to reconcile invoices against daily reports with UPS than FedEx plus one pickup one invoice and that is worth money to me, I don’t have to spend as much time . Just to give you an example , I left FedEx first part of August and I just received the last invoice( I hope ) a week ago for some international clearance charges where UPS charges the customer for that.

[quote name='Struck' timestamp='1319751781' post='124707']

Did you clear your cache after putting the original (unmodified files) back in place? (The UPS Realtime rates are cached as shown in the code.)

The manual shipping methods you mention should not have any effect unless you have some sort of location overlap going on, you could quickly de-activate those just while you are testing to be certain.

[/quote]

clearing the cache had no effect, it is got to be something else causing this.