UPS charges us more than what calculats on Real Time

We have UPS set up & we use their Real Time estimation. But we keep getting charged more from UPS than what is calculated via Real Time. When I called them I was told it was due to a weight difference. But there is no weight asked for in the Real Time calculation! We ate $65 on an international order due to a 5 lb. difference!

Has anyone else had this problem & if so how’d you fix it?

The weight is calculated from your entered weight on each individual product Brennie. However, if you use packing materials that add weight to the final shipment, it can cause the final weight to be much higher than the estimated weight.

Also, (although I am not positive on this), there are surcharges that are not estimated in the real time shipping (broker fees, etc…) on international orders.

Um… ut-oh. I actually don’t have any weights entered on any products. Is this bad? I think I entered them before & the UPS Real Time didn’t work so I removed them. :confused:

[quote name=‘Brennie369’]Um… ut-oh. I actually don’t have any weights entered on any products. Is this bad? I think I entered them before & the UPS Real Time didn’t work so I removed them. :confused:[/QUOTE]

ut-oh…off the top of my head, that is not good for real time shipping

:frowning:

might i also recommend adding a ‘surcharge’ for international shipping to cover costs.

The customer is supposedly responsible for broker fees (if applicable on an order) BUT, if (FedX in my case) can’t collect the fee from the customer, guess who gets the bill?

Yeah but doesn’t the carrier refuse delivery if they don’t pay it?

Ok I will go through & add weights. D’OH! And how do I add a surcharge? I want to because there’s always a Fuel Surcharge on our bills as well that doesn’t get calculated in Real Time.

i am not an expert on this, but what i did was make destinations based on the zone maps here domestically, and added a Items dependences variable.

On international, I have the EU in one destination, Asian in another, and South America in another, Canada in another each with different surcharges (dependences). They are not spot on, but work out pretty close.

I am sure there is an easier way.

:wink:

Now I remember why I removed the weights from the products. I just added weight to one & tested it using my Japan customers address. It added $100 to the shipping total. Before it was $135, now it’s over $200. Although, we were charged over $200 so I guess it is accurate!

We just figured that the high shipping cost would turn people away from ordering.

And for some reason, when I had USPS enabled, it estimated $4.80 on every order, no matter the destination, so I disabled that.