Upgrading Why so fuc_ing complicated

I have just received notice I need to upgrade.

I have spent countless hours customizing my website and it is just the way I want it and working fine,and now if I upgrade I will need to spend several hours more to make many changes to all the new files that have been changed.

I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!

Isn’t there a way to upgrade WITHOUT having to do all this additional work.

I have changed so many things that I just don’t remember all the little TWEEKS I have made to my website.

Why can’t the developers of this “very good software” come up with a way to make the upgrades SEAMLESS?

I just don’t have the time to re-build my site each time there is an UPGRADE.

Does ANYONE out there feel the same and want to join me in my revolt?

IF SO make a post to this forum with the title “REVOLT AGAINST UPGRADE PROCESS”

Does anyone have the ANSWER?

:rolleyes:

Luziano

Did you use hooks to implement your changes? Had you done this, your upgrade would likely be more “seamless”.

Bob

Wrong side of the bed this morning?

If you want to get rid of the prompts, change the license key in the upgrade center = all fixed.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Wrong side of the bed this morning?

If you want to get rid of the prompts, change the license key in the upgrade center = all fixed.[/QUOTE]

Pushing that little power button on your monitor makes it go away too! :wink:

Well just remember… you “customized” the software… so that’s just part of upgrading. Have you ever upgraded before? CS-Cart shows you what was changed in each file so you know what you need to cut and paste… Its not as complicated as it sounds.

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’]Save yourself a headache, 1.3.5spX to 2.0.12 upgrades starting at $1000.[/QUOTE]

Its so easy but people are charging $1000 for upgrades :?

You should really fix this as it makes your software very irritating to use.

I Think you have count one more “0”. It is $100+

@jobosales what do you mean hooks? code comments?

i’m in the process of modding the cart now and am rather worried about future upgrades for the very same reasons as the thread starter.

[quote name=‘matt5409’]@jobosales what do you mean hooks? code comments?

i’m in the process of modding the cart now and am rather worried about future upgrades for the very same reasons as the thread starter.[/QUOTE]

He is talking about using the my changes addon which allows you to override an existing tpl and replace it with modifications of your own. This my changes area doesn’t get affected by upgrades. See this thread

[quote name=‘whiplash13’]He is talking about using the my changes addon which allows you to override an existing tpl and replace it with modifications of your own. This my changes area doesn’t get affected by upgrades. See this thread[/QUOTE]

thanks. i’m slowly getting the hang of this!

[url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

[url]http://docs.cs-cart.com/common.php?dispatch=docs/view&node_name=design-changes[/url]

Use the hook to change Style.css and many other templates,

[quote name=‘Bureau 24’]Its so easy but people are charging $1000 for upgrades :?

You should really fix this as it makes your software very irritating to use.[/quote]

I charge what I want. CS-Cart isn’t my software, they’re entitled to charge what they like.

Is there a documentation or recommended guide that comes from CS-Cart that suggests how to do an upgrade and how one should be doing their houskeeping when it comes to making modification and maintaining it during an upgrade?

Surely there is some best practice guide for software upgrades and application maintenance and how to do it?

I am not a programmer but I think it also gets referred to as ‘change control’. So as a modifer of any system you need to keep all your changes documented and the CS-Cart ugrader should work out what to upgrade & change if it see a change made to the original code.

It’s really almost this simple!

Unless you have made code changes to your CS-Cart store, then the built-in automatic upgrade process works very well overall. Now, if you have made alot of code modifications, then you need to learn & start implementing the “Hooks” method of incorporating your customized code to save you time. Let’s face it, the more customizations you make to any platform, the more work you are going to have when it comes time to upgrade, it is total common sense.

Personally, I have made it a very concious effort to NOT add much custom code unless it is a function that we absolutely must have in our store so that I am able to quickly & easily upgrade as needed without fuss. Just make double sure that you keep good backups of your customized skin folder including CSS files!!

[QUOTE]So as a modifer of any system you need to keep all your changes documented and the CS-Cart ugrader should work out what to upgrade & change if it see a change made to the original code.[/QUOTE]

This is built-in functionality of the automatic upgrade process, CS-Cart does specify these changes quite clearly during the upgrade!

Personally, I still tend to prefer the control of manually upgrading via FTP & revert back to this quite often, especially when you are mostly using stock code…

[quote name=‘Struck’]It’s really almost this simple!

Unless you have made code changes to your CS-Cart store, then the built-in automatic upgrade process works very well overall. Now, if you have made alot of code modifications, then you need to learn & start implementing the “Hooks” method of incorporating your customized code to save you time. Let’s face it, the more customizations you make to any platform, the more work you are going to have when it comes time to upgrade, it is total common sense.

Personally, I still tend to prefer the control of manually upgrading via FTP & revert back to this quite often, especially when you are mostly using stock code…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for some good feedback.

Excuse my ignorance and my lack of knowledge of CS-Cart as I am new, but what are hooks and where do I find them and how do I use them? Is there some documentation on this?

Here is a knowledgebase article explaining some of the ways “Hooks” are used in conjunction with the “My-Changes” addon:

[url]http://docs.cs-cart.com/common.php?dispatch=docs/view&node_name=examples1[/url]

Also, you can search these forums for “Hooks” & find a slew of posts with explanations of how they are used.

Just search “hooks” on the CS-Cart Knowledgebase here - [url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation. This explains how to make various changes, along with a lot of other useful information.

Thanks Lyn,

Just checked out your website also, looks very good.

Did u do it yourself and how long did that take?

Are you a developer or a shop owner like myself?

[quote name=‘Struck’]It’s really almost this simple!

[/QUOTE]

I haven’t gone through an upgrade yet as I’m still prototyping a v2.0.12 site with minor customizations to .tpl files and the styles.css file. IMO the template and code hooks are very limited in functionality to handle most customizations. The styles.css in “my_changes” is only useful for post css changes like new css code and not so efficient for overriding the base styles.css code. The code hooks are really crippled since they only support a small section of code in a template so I don’t even bother. Now this isn’t to say they can’t be useful but imo I’ve found it easier to just edit .tpl directly in the skin files.

One thing I do is use a code repository so I can track my changes from the original code. At first I learned under v2.0.11 and then re-deployed to v2.0.12 leveraging SmartGit that tracked my changes and just manually edited the files for my upgrade. Now I’ve read the upgrade process will identify the impacted files which should make things easier but i’m more worried about any db changes in the future.

No upgrade is fun so at this point I’ll probably just do file diff’s and db schema comparisons. Someone can tell me otherwise but I’m writing my steps down from a scratch install for my own best practices.

[quote name=‘sellon’]Thanks Lyn,

Just checked out your website also, looks very good.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

[QUOTE]Did u do it yourself and how long did that take?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did it myself and it is an ongoing project as well as being an ongoing learning experience. It didn’t take long to actually set up the cart but I am adding products for sale all the time. Upgrading to version 2 is on the agenda for later this year when hopefully some of the bugs have been fixed.

I have an installation on my local computer and make any design changes there before making them “live”.

[QUOTE]Are you a developer or a shop owner like myself?[/QUOTE]

Just a shop owner