Upgrading to 2.0.4, What's the best way?

Well I think I am going to start upgrading to 2.0.4. I am currently using 1.3.5 sp4.

I am not all that worried about the database end of it, but I am concerned with the design side of my site. Obviously I don’t want to just stick with the basic skin and I want to do my own design. My current design with 1.3.5 sp4 is pretty good and I am very happy with it.

I have read about the “hooks”, but for the life of me, I still am having a problem wrapping my head around the idea. I don’t know what my problem is, but I just don’t get it.

I also am not all that excited about just hardcoding everything because when an update comes out I don’t want to have to deal with all the changes I made in my files. This is what I did in 1.3.5 sp4 and it worked, but was a real pain.

What I want to know is how everyone is doing the design part of the site. I set up a poll, but I would love to hear your comments as well so that hopefully I will get pointed in the right direction.

Thank you,

Brandon

Personally I moved to 2.04 and am pretty happy with the results. At first it looked rather difficult but now I am getting used to it.

This is the result I got so far. :slight_smile:

[url]http://www.truebalticamber.com/[/url]

Darius

Thank you for the reply. Your site is looking pretty good so far. How did you do the modifications?

Brandon

I did a fresh install of 2.04.

Just kept exporting and importing until I got what I needed.

[quote name=‘zeero6’]I did a fresh install of 2.04.

Just kept exporting and importing until I got what I needed.[/QUOTE]

I did 135 - 2.0 upgrade but with images and admin panel corrupted. So after install I had to empty product description, image link and few other tables and restore them from fresh install sql backups.

I think best upgrade would be fresh install with csv imports.

[quote name=‘brandonvd’]Darius

Thank you for the reply. Your site is looking pretty good so far. How did you do the modifications?

Brandon[/QUOTE]

Most modifications are done in styles.css.

Some html added via banners and blocks feature.

Also few tpl files were hardcoded. As of yet I did not touch any hooks.

OT

Yesterday design editor simply stopped working. I did not do any changes, anyone knows what may be the problem?