upgrading from 2.2.4 to 3.06

Hi Guys, I've been reading lots of threads in regard to performing the Store Import upgrade. Can I please confirm;


  • is it better to upgrade my current 2.2.4 store to 2.2.5 and THEN do the upgrade to V3? I recall someone here (Struck maybe?) saying the upgrade went more smoothly from a 2.2.5 install


  • does the upgrade go smoothly if using a different (sub) domain? I plan to create a v3.mysite.com and install across to that.



    Any other tips? Our store is comprised almost entirely of products with options (swatches) and Im hoping they all map across ok. - www.crushcosmetics.com.au



    Cheers,



    Scott.

Hi Scott,



I didi exactly what you are planning right now, testing on a subdomain.

I had lots of problems with the store import functionality and spent maybe 3 days to successfully import the whole store. Result was disappointing.



Finally I opened up a ticket from helpdesk and spent 20 credits for a proper store import. Probably CS-Cart admins made the import manually.



I think it was worth the cost. At least better to spend 3-4 days dealing with something that messes up everything :)



Cheers

[quote][color=#282828][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]- is it better to upgrade my current 2.2.4 store to 2.2.5 and THEN do the upgrade to V3? I recall someone here (Struck maybe?) saying the upgrade went more smoothly from a 2.2.5 install[/font][/color][/quote]



Hello Scott,



We were already currently running 2.2.5 & upgraded to 3.0.5 via the Store Import Tool without any real issues with the import itself, entire import process took perhaps 10 - 15 mins.



The trickier part is migrating over the secondary customers / orders which have accumulated on your live store up until the time you are finished tweaking your new 3.0.x store and actually make the live switch… I saw one of your other posts where Jesse laid out the process for you in regards to the “final migration”, so you should have a good idea what will be necessary. Too bad the Store Importer doesn’t provide the capability to migrate in segments rather than the all or nothing approach, would sure make life easier for active businesses! ;-) Overall I am quite satisfied with 3.0.6, however, at this stage I would suggest holding out a short while longer and upgrading to the new 3.1.x branch, no need for any additional self inflicted abuse… !

We just did the upgrade from 2.2.5 to 3.0.6 and it did go pretty smooth. I turned off the store for the weekend to mess around with the site. After looking around and doing a little tweaking I decided I would wait for the 3.1.? and then maybe, if we stay with CS-Cart, we will do an upgrade.

Thanks for the replies guys. Pruedomme - thats a good idea to ask CS Cart to do it, you can use up points and get it done 100% right. :-)



Struck - I hear you in regard to the upcoming 3.1 and I have been debating as to whether or not I should hold off. But I’ve been wondering about how long it will take for 3.1 to be truly reliable for a busy online store and relatively bug free. :grin:



I have a few reasons to upgrade to 3.0x now, and I’m happy to sit on that tree of development for the next year or so if I can. But I certainly will heed your words - it would be nice to jump straight to 3.1 and be on the latest version. (thats if I even can jump straight across from a 2.2.4 install?)



In regard to updating the customers and orders (after the Store import has been run) I was thinking of using Cart 2 Cart again - I remember in the wizard that you can selectively choose what gets mapped across, so I was thinking to use the Store Importer for the products, combinations, tax, user groups etc, and then use Cart 2 Cart for the customer and order migration. In theory, I could even run the Cart 2 Cart migration twice (as it is time consuming) Once on the initial live store to bring in all the customers and orders to date (and that can take as long as it needs to) - the second time i run it would be prior to switching live, and it would be simply bringing in the customers and orders that have occurred since (and should be a lot faster to complete)



Cheers,



Scott.

[quote name=‘Scott_C’ timestamp=‘1363662536’ post=‘158080’]

Thanks for the replies guys. Pruedomme - thats a good idea to ask CS Cart to do it, you can use up points and get it done 100% right. :-)



Struck - I hear you in regard to the upcoming 3.1 and I have been debating as to whether or not I should hold off. But I’ve been wondering about how long it will take for 3.1 to be truly reliable for a busy online store and relatively bug free. :grin:



Scott, 3.1 could be released any day now, and considering it has been in development for quite some time now, I tend to believe they are putting at least somewhat more effort into final testing prior to release this time around.







I have a few reasons to upgrade to 3.0x now, and I’m happy to sit on that tree of development for the next year or so if I can. But I certainly will heed your words - it would be nice to jump straight to 3.1 and be on the latest version. (thats if I even can jump straight across from a 2.2.4 install?)



At the very least, I suggest you upgrade to 2.2.5 right away as it is a very quick & painless upgrade providing a few bug fixes, no need to skip over 2.2.5



In regard to updating the customers and orders (after the Store import has been run) I was thinking of using Cart 2 Cart again - I remember in the wizard that you can selectively choose what gets mapped across, so I was thinking to use the Store Importer for the products, combinations, tax, user groups etc, and then use Cart 2 Cart for the customer and order migration. In theory, I could even run the Cart 2 Cart migration twice (as it is time consuming) Once on the initial live store to bring in all the customers and orders to date (and that can take as long as it needs to) - the second time i run it would be prior to switching live, and it would be simply bringing in the customers and orders that have occurred since (and should be a lot faster to complete)



Sounds like a very good plan for the final migration of customers / order data when ready to finally flip the switch! I need to consider them myself next time around if needed rather than only considering this service for migration to different platforms!



Cheers,



Scott.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info Struck, I might hold out a few more weeks and see if 3.1 is forthcoming…