Upgrading community version to 2.1.3

Does anyone know the scoop on what needs to be done to upgrade the community version 2.1.2 up to the community version 2.1.3? Version 2.1.2 of the community version does not include the “upgrade” option in the admin so you have to manually do it. The problem is the instructions that CS gives you for the community version does not show you how to “manually” do it.

Since we have done no changes to the code, would it be as easy as just uploading all the new files via ftp? Are there no database changes?

I guess the good part is they are thinking ahead now and they include the upgrade option in the 2.1.3 version. Now I just need to figure out how to get there.

Bad news, it looks like CS may not have thought ahead on the early release of the community version. Here is the reply I received from Kate at the helpdesk…

[quote]

Unfortunately, there is no ability to upgrade CS-Cart Community version 2.1.2 to version 2.1.3 as there is no the upgrade package for this.

It is not enough just to replace the files, the database should be updated either.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

[/quote]

So it looks like if you installed the community version 2.1.2 on any websites you are pretty much out of luck. The best you can probably do is export some of the information and hope it imports in to the new.

Live and learn.

[quote name=‘clips’]Bad news, it looks like CS may not have thought ahead on the early release of the community version. Here is the reply I received from Kate at the helpdesk…

So it looks like if you installed the community version 2.1.2 on any websites you are pretty much out of luck. The best you can probably do is export some of the information and hope it imports in to the new.

Live and learn.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect for free?

It can be done, just not with a built in upgrade feature.

I didn’t really expect the “built in” feature as it said right on the download page that it could not be done that way. So even though it was “free” I did not expect that it could be done automatically.

I did however figure they CS would at least have instructions on how to do upgrade it manually. According to Kate it can not be upgraded because of something in the database.

I should also mention that just because something is “free” does not mean it should not mean it cannot be updated.

I am also surprised that no one replied to this thread until after I answered it and then it isn’t really a reply, but instead a sarcastic response. Does this mean the forum does not support the “community” version of CS because it is “free”? Just because something is “free” should not mean the community snubs their nose at it? I know the reason that most probably did not respond was because they have not experimented with the community version yet. That is what we are doing, experimenting with it.

@The Tool

No offense, but if you did not know how to help than quite honestly your comment adds NOTHING to this thread. I know that is pretty much the norm here on the forum, but sometimes it is frustrating.

Also @The Tool

CS must have seen fit at some point that the automatic upgrade should be in the community or free version as they now have included it with the 2.1.3 community version.

The main point again is that I was not asking how to do it “automatically” as I already knew that was not able to be done as noted in the first post. I was trying to see if anyone had figured out how to do it “manually”.

I will experiment with one of our community sites and see what I get. If I figure out something I will post it so that others may benefit. If someone else has figured it out then please post it to help out the community…yes, including the “free” community.

Neither offense nor sarcasm is/was intended.

You could apply the files to the directories and then grab the uc.sql file from the upgrade and use it to modify the database schema.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’]You could apply the files to the directories and then grab the uc.sql file from the upgrade and use it to modify the database schema.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advise. Any idea where the uc.sql file is? I tried to look through the files and did a search, but could not find it. Is it maybe located inside another file?

It would be in the upgrade distribution. Someone here may have a copy they can email you or post. I haven’t upgraded (and don’t plan to) so I can’t help you with it.

I’m guessing that must have been something they changed. I know that I could miss it by just browsing through the files, but I doubt the “search” function would miss it.

Back to the drawing board. The sites I have created were just started, “micro” sites, so I won’t loose much information if I zap everything or mess something up. I just figured it would be easier to upgrade than to start over. I may just have to start over. I guess the good part is they have included the upgrade function in 2.1.3 for the community version.

Test 1 to upgrade failed.

All I did here was uploaded v2.1.3 over top of all the files on the site. I then ran the install and tried to do it over top of old database. I’m many of your already knew this, but it did not work. At first it seemed to have worked, but once you go and try to do anything to the database it gives error after error.

It really didn’t help much anyway as it seemed to erase everything in the database. I’m guess at this point it is going to be easier to just zap it all and start fresh. Since I don’t see uc.sql file that may be the only option. Maybe CS just does not include this file with the community version?

[QUOTE]I’m guess at this point it is going to be easier to just zap it all and start fresh.[/QUOTE]

Since you don’t have a great deal of time invested in the new site, although it won’t be like a one-click upgrade, the end result will most likely turn out better in the end! :wink:

Besides, look at all of the practice you are benefiting from…

Yeah, what the heck. I sure know how to at least set up a community version of CS. I can’t imagine setting up the whole version will be that much more difficult. While per site it won’t be too bad remaking them, the problem is I’ve done 12 of these community versions so far. That will take a little longer as it seems the easiest thing appears to be to just delete the whole site in wmh and set it all up again. That way I don’t miss any files, etc.

Ya gotta love it!

I knew that we would want to update the sites when we started this a few weeks ago, I just figured there would be an easier way to actually get it upgraded. Live and learn.

The good part again is that CS put in the upgrade function for the community version too.

If you have 12 and are going to make them all licensed versions then you should invest in developing an upgrade process. But then it’s your time…

The new community version of 2.1.3 includes the upgrade. So we would be better off to just start all of these over and start there. I guess I should have checked to make sure they could have been upgraded more easily when we first started doing the project.

Originally we started out these micro sites using OpenCart but after working with it for a couple of weeks we decided that the CS community version was a better option. So this is just another little hiccup on the way to testing our experiment.

Well, it looks like I may have zapped all of my test micro sites that had the Community Version of CS 2.1.2 installed on them. I tried to install 2.1.3 over the site and got a strange error. I thought the error was because I installed over top an old copy…well, the error ended up actually being a bug in the latest community version 2.1.3. I figured this out because I deleted the whole account from my wmh panel and then ended up getting the same results. It was then that I found the bug listed at…

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/vbugs.php?do=view&vbug_id=2404[/url]

Come to find out I must have downloaded it too soon and didn’t realize it wasn’t ready to go live. So I am still starting over, but I didn’t want people to think you cannot copy over. I really do not know the result now. Sorry.