Upgrading between minor versions

Hello.

Since it’s the first time I’m using CS-Cart, I want to know, if I make small modifications to the template (Design > Template editor), then I need to upgrade, will those changes be preserved? will I see a warning, a message about them?

Or, will I have to make a “Clean Install”, to go from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 ?

[quote name=‘cartier’]Hello.

Since it’s the first time I’m using CS-Cart, I want to know, if I make small modifications to the template (Design > Template editor), then I need to upgrade, will those changes be preserved? will I see a warning, a message about them?

Or, will I have to make a “Clean Install”, to go from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 ?[/QUOTE]

I found out the hard way after modding a skin in 2.0.4 then upgrading to 2.0.5 which had skin updates in it - breaking the site etc.

if your going to mod a stock skin follow this process:

1. clean install - dont change/install skin

2)duplicate the folder of the skin you want to mod before you decide to use it found here

/var/skins_repository

calling it myskin or something.

2. then edit this file :

/var/skins_repository/myskin/manifest.ini

change line 1

description = “my skin”

the name isnt important - but it must be something other than an existing skin name - this is what will show up in the list of available skins - log into admin and select myskin from the list

• if you do made edits and tweaks to the system files, then document each change ( file and line#) for all changes you make. When you upgrade - cscart will prompt you to check the file it finds have been modified - you can then check the edits you have made still work etc (normally if I am editing a line, I will comment out the original, then insert an edited line after it - this way I always the originals backed up in two places.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

Catch1fish’s suggestions will all work.

There is another option to use ‘hooks’ ([url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?p=55292#post55292[/url]) which will keep your local modifications safely out of the way of future upgrades.

Bob