Upgrade From Trial Version

Hi Everyone…I am new here

I downloaded the last version trial to test drive & really liked everything, including the admin panel & the magenta skin I chose. Something went funky & the cart shut down 5 days early (only had 40 days instead of 45)…and I had to rush out to purchase the license.

I ended up downloading the latest 2.0.4 version, and I must be honest…I find the admin panel confusing & half the functions are either now hidden under other functions or are gone altogether…such as "Look & Feel:, etc. I was heartsick & disappointed :frowning:

My question is…is there a way to get the expired trial up and running again, or download the old version & then upgrade to the new one ? I really miss the old admin & I had my heart set on the look I had…

Thanks for any advice…

The old version (1.3.5sp4) can be downloaded from your File Area http://helpdesk.cs-cart.com under Archive section. To be honest if you are just starting a new store i’d suggest you use v2.0.4 as support for the older release will soon diminish as most new addons, patches and skins will be for the new version. Download and work through the manual, most of what could be done in 1.3.5 can be done in v2.

As for upgrading, the only upgrade path available from 1.3.5sp4 is a database update, your theme/skin is not compatible with the new version as the architecture has completely changed.

I’m sure once you get the hang of the new version you won’t be disapointed.

And welcome to the forum.

Are you looking for the older 1.3.x Version?

If so, & you purchased a license, then you should be able to download this from within the Files area of your helpdesk account.

WHOOPS!

(Sorry Baballuci, obviously you type faster than I do!) :wink:

So from the last version to this version everything is radically different? Templates, admin area…all of it? May I ask what the reasoning is behind such a drastic overall change from one version to the next, and why the trial that’s being offered is a version that is admittedly outdated and will no longer be developed? :confused:

[quote name=‘DawnG’]So from the last version to this version everything is radically different? Templates, admin area…all of it? May I ask what the reasoning is behind such a drastic overall change from one version to the next, and why the trial that’s being offered is a version that is admittedly outdated and will no longer be developed? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I guess the new 4.x version came out just about the time I downloaded the trial. I didn’t know that at the time…but was excited when I heard the new one was available…until I actually saw it.

It is noted that the new version is supposed to be easier & more user friendly…but in my opinion things that you are going to want to change & customize are harder to find.

Maybe it’s just me :confused:

[quote name=‘Stuck’]Are you looking for the older 1.3.x Version?

If so, & you purchased a license, then you should be able to download this from within the Files area of your helpdesk account.[/QUOTE]

But what is the cleanest & safest way to overwrite the trial software with the licensed version so I don’t lose everything I worked on for 40 days ? I changed settings, added many products with mega-global options, & added categories with specialized text for each.

Is there anything that I should NOT overwrite ?

Dawn…take a deep breath & a step backwards, then tell us exactly what version you started building your site on… (It will make it far easier for people on the forums to help you determine the best course of action!) :confused:

PS: I totally agree with Baballuci, if at all possible focus all your current efforts into using the latest CS-Cart version 2.04 rather than going backwards & upgrading to the new platform later!

[quote name=‘Stuck’]Dawn…take a deep breath & a step backwards, then tell us exactly what version you started building your site on… (It will make it far easier for people on the forums to help you determine the best course of action!) :confused:[/QUOTE]

Deep breath taken… :slight_smile:

The version of the trial was 1.3.5-sp4…and I downloaded it on 4-16. The 45 day trial should have lasted until 5-31…but it expired on 4-27.

I agree with everyone that the new version is what I should be interested in…but I am just disappointed in the massive changes & extreme limited skin choices. In the trial, there must have been 15-20 skins…but in the 4.x upgrade there are only 6…none of which that are very attractive for a wedding oriented business. I know I am able to customize, but the magenta skin worked perfectly. sigh

The thing that concerns me is if I stick with the upgrade version, isn’t there a glitch in importing the category/product DB from the trial that I had been working on for all that time ? And is there a way to import all the changes I made to customer emails & languages ?

Please forgive me…I think you can tell I am not that technical oriented & am drowning in a sea of sorrow :rolleyes:

Hi Dawn,

Ok, that helps! :wink:

If I were you, and I’m not, but if I were :smiley: then considering it sounds as if you have quite a fair amount of time invested in building your site on 1.3.5 SP4, and the fact that you have a template design from this version which caught your eye, then I would just stay with 1.3.5 SP4 for now & get your site up & running! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the version you are currently on & many people seem to be holding off before upgrading to the later 2.xxx platform because it will no doubt take a few weeks or months to catch & fix any bugs which arrise! This will also buy you time for the CS-Cart devs to finish the database upgrade script to convert your 1.3.5 database to the version 2.xxx making it far easier for you to upgrade when you decide to. So, I believe all you will need to do is enter your CS-Cart license key from within the admin area of your site & it will convert your current site from demo mode to full blown “make me some money” mode.

Good Luck!

Dawn, just to further clarify… Please keep in mind that there are definate benefits in not jumping in to the latest software version just “because there is a newer version”! Especially if you are not overly tech savy because in this case, 1.3.5 SP4 is more or less fully matured & well tested. The new 2.xxx platform is just that, quite new, & still being refined.

[quote name=‘Stuck’]Dawn, just to further clarify… Please keep in mind that there are definate benefits in not jumping in to the latest software version just “because there is a newer version”! Especially if you are not overly tech savy because in this case, 1.3.5 SP4 is more or less fully matured & well tested. The new 2.xxx platform is just that, quite new, & still being refined.[/QUOTE]

Thank you thank you thank you Stuck…you took so much tension out of my day :smiley:

I really do like the old version, and as you pointed out, there are always bugs that need to be fixed…and if I encountered one of those bugs, I would not know exactly what to do with it.

But the magic question is, where do I insert the license key ? I don’t know exactly where it would be located in all the files…so even a hint of a direction would be SO very appreciated :smiley:

Again…thank you !

Hi Dawn, glad I was able to calm you down…LOL !

Ok, you can get your license key if you login to your CS-Cart “Helpdesk” account, it will be displayed for you under Licenses (I think).

You then just enter your license key by going into your sites admin area, then under the “Administration” tab you will find a text box where you can enter your license key. (Sorry, I can’t remember exactly where this license key text box is located in 1.3.5 SP4, but you will find it.)

Good Luck! :wink:

Unfortunately, the trial is expired and won’t let me in. Besides, it appears that it’s the ioncube encoded bits that expired, not the script itself. Planning on replacing existing site files with the same version download and seeing if that grants access.

Can’t see why it wouldn’t. :wink:

Dawn, this should help you!

[url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

[quote name=‘Stuck’]Dawn, this should help you!

[url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

It sure did…thanks :smiley:

Great, glad to hear your back in business! :wink: