Update Vs Upgrade

Hi All,

I'm a web designer who has inherited an old CS Cart for a customer, and I'm trying to figure it out. I have a lot of experience with Drupal/Ubercart and with Wordpress as well as minor php codiing and html experience. CS Cart is kicking my butt. Nothing makes sense and support is apparently two days away for us. So hoping I can get pointed in the right direction from the forum.

I assume that “Updating” and “Upgrading” are two different things. The only information I can find in the knowledgebase is on “Upgrading”. My cart has a message “[color=#8C8531][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Notice[/size][/font][/color][color=#8C8531][font=arial, verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]

A new version of CS-Cart is available! [color=”#0042b2"]Please update now[/color]."[/size][/font][/color]

So yes, that would be nice considering the files I see in the install directory are, like, 2011!!

The notice is to Upgrade 2.1.4 - 2.2.1 (are we updating or upgrading here?)

So I click “Install” Dropping the server to PHP version 5.3 helped me not go immediately into error. But I'm still not completing the update.

I get this message: [color=#000000][font=arial, verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]The following files have local modification. They will be backed up and you need to resolve conflicts manually after upgrade[/size][/font][/color]

I click “continue” on that page and get to watch very nice dots race across the screen. Which finally resolves into the following: Not Acceptable! - An appropriate representation of the requested resource could not be found on this server. This error was generated by Mod_Security.

Does this obscure language mean that I need to download some files and upload them manually? Do I need to go down to PHP 2? Or how in the world do I resolve these conflicts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Z

Maybe try temporarily disabling Mod_Security if that's an option.

I think “update” and “upgrade” are probably interchangeable terms. The software is written by people whose first language is Russian.

[quote name='zareen' timestamp='1438706463' post='225597'] Do I need to go down to PHP 2? Or how in the world do I resolve these conflicts? Thanks in advance for any help. Z [/quote]

1. Update and Upgrade mean the same. kingsleypress is right about the source of the problem “Lost in translation” (c)
  2. Safe-mode is not supported. See the requirements: CS-Cart System Requirements — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation