Unique shipping situation - rules to calculate box size needed

Part of our business includes selling and shipping ship live aquarium fish using UPS and Fedex Overnight options, and we provide realtime rates. We are able to apply rules in our current cart that allows us to define box size and/or weight, based on the number of fish purchased (ie 1-25 fish go in a 10x8x8 box that weighs 3 pounds, 26-100 fish go in a 12x11x10 box that weighs 5 pounds, 101-500 fish go in a 20x16x8 box that weighs 14 pounds). We are able to assign these rules to each specific fish type we offer as well.

Can CS-Cart do this or at least something similar?

Thanks!

Hello, kellenw!

You can set the box parameters for each product in CS-Cart under the “Shipping Properties” tab f the product details page in the admin panel:

http://demo.cs-cart.com/professional/admin.php?dispatch=products.update&product_id=29768

Hello Orangegirl,

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion, but it doesn't really work for my situation because the box parameters only set maximum items per box, and a single box size.

I need to be able to configure shipping rules to something more like the following:

• 1-25 items go in a 13x10x8 box
  • 26-100 items go in a 15x12x10 box
  • 101-250 items go in a 20x20x12 box

• All of these shipments are subject to dimensional weight pricing because they are extremely light for their size.

Thank you for the clarification of your needs.

Unfortunately, there is no ability to set up standard CS-Cart in this way. Some code modification are required. You can make them yourself, hire some third-party developer or order our custom development service.

Hello Kellenw,

[quote]I need to be able to configure shipping rules to something more like the following:

• 1-25 items go in a 13x10x8 box
  • 26-100 items go in a 15x12x10 box
  • 101-250 items go in a 20x20x12 box

• All of these shipments are subject to dimensional weight pricing because they are extremely light for their size. [/quote]

Keep in mind that you can add Surcharges based upon the number of items aka: “Item Dependencies” and add them to your realtime shipping rates being displayed for each of your “air” shipping methods of which the dimensional calculations would apply. Will take some testing on your end to determine the actual surcharge amounts needed to match your actual costs, although you should be able to get these rates pretty close. ;)