Troubleshooting-Can Adding Fields Cause Import Problems?

I have recently changed my products database by adding some new features which are needed for new products but not for old. I have also several times changed the order of the columns in the CSV files I am trying to import into CS-Cart. Could either of these things cause product imports to fail?

If not then the fact that my product import attempts are failing must be due to either a) improperly prepared CSV files or damage to my CS-Cart database.

Per RFC 4180, I am preparing CSV files as follows: I am using comma delimited files with properly named headers and double quoting all fields. Any double quote appearing in field content is replaced with two double quotes. Special characters not used in field content.

Including some fields in the CSV results in successful import but some fields with text content seem to break the import and cause an error. I am waiting for support but they are backlogged to the point that responding to a support message gets the “2-3 day wait” response. At this point I think it's the database but want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

Thanks for any help.

Have you defined the exim schema for the db columns you've added? If you are quitting all columns then you shouldn't need to escape newlines.

Try to export few products and compare the generated file with the imported one

Problem solved but could have been one of two things. There was a weird invisible character which TextWrangler displayed as a question mark rotated 180º which I believe was a vertical tab. Also, one of my column headers was misspelled and was missing a trailing s.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1417643744' post='198697']

Have you defined the exim schema for the db columns you've added? If you are quitting all columns then you shouldn't need to escape newlines.

[/quote]

I was quoting all columns so I'm surprised that screwed it up.

[quote name='eComLabs' timestamp='1417680677' post='198714']

Try to export few products and compare the generated file with the imported one

[/quote]

That's what I did but visually very hard to tell the differences. I need to get a little higher tech and start using a spreadsheet or learn regex. Thanks for help!

Thanks again for the help!