To ship or Not to ship. Shipping address different than billing.

I would like opinions and suggestions please.

I have not been burned yet, and I am careful, but am I missing something?

I sell stair railings and materials for the home and sometimes home owners or builders would like these wooden products shipped to their new home or customers home. Should I be hard nosed and say that I can only ship to billing address to be sure that it is being sold to the card holder and miss any sales (especially from the repeat builders) ? It is safer that way.

My thoughts are that if the card is approved, street address and cvv code do match, the card is present at the time and this person knows their own billing address.

PayPal does not guarantee these types of transactions anyhow, so it is a risk to sell online period.

Any opinions or thoughts or experiences are definitely appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim.

That would depend on how your card service treats cashbacks but what I always do is treat each case on it's own merits.

For example, if someone order £50 worth of good and wanted it sent to an address I look up that address. If it's a cafe (which I have had in the past) then I just do a refund and tell them I can ship there.

You could always ask them to confirm their address with a scan of a document like passport of energy bill.

[quote name=‘jimmyod’ timestamp=‘1370610967’ post=‘163200’]

I would like opinions and suggestions please.

I have not been burned yet, and I am careful, but am I missing something?

I sell stair railings and materials for the home and sometimes home owners or builders would like these wooden products shipped to their new home or customers home. Should I be hard nosed and say that I can only ship to billing address to be sure that it is being sold to the card holder and miss any sales (especially from the repeat builders) ? It is safer that way.

My thoughts are that if the card is approved, street address and cvv code do match, the card is present at the time and this person knows their own billing address.

PayPal does not guarantee these types of transactions anyhow, so it is a risk to sell online period.

Any opinions or thoughts or experiences are definitely appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim.

[/quote]

Jim,

Based solely upon the type of clientele you cater to, as well as the types of products you are supplying to them, it would be foolish to require that shipments can only be made to the billing address and would most likely cost you a substantial amount of lost sales and headaches.

For example, if you were selling high risk items such as ipods or flat screen televisions to teenagers on crack, then it becomes a whole different ballgame!

My business has a somewhat similar client type (with a very high percentage of repeat customers) and supplys products which are also not high risk and we have never required (nor would we consider it) that the ship to matches the bill to address, fraudulent transactions or charge-backs are not even the slightest issue for us. ;-)

Also, there are some of us that don't have home delivery for USPS shipping. My entire town gets all of their USPS main from the post office. So if you ship UPS or FedEx and only ship to the billing address, I won't be able to purchase from you without emailing you or calling you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, but there are like 3000 people in my town and we are all in the same boat.

Just to let you know though, Microsoft and Best Buy only ship to verified addresses. Since we don't have mail delivery, the USPS doesn't have my home address in their database. Since it isn't in their database, my home doesn't exist to USPS, Microsoft, Best Buy and others. It is a complete pain in the butt and made it super difficult to get my Xbox fixed.

Just my 2 cents I guess.

Thanks,

Brandon

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1370628190’ post=‘163222’]

Jim,

Based solely upon the type of clientele you cater to, as well as the types of products you are supplying to them, it would be foolish to require that shipments can only be made to the billing address and would most likely cost you a substantial amount of lost sales and headaches.

For example, if you were selling high risk items such as ipods or flat screen televisions to teenagers on crack, then it becomes a whole different ballgame!

My business has a somewhat similar client type (with a very high percentage of repeat customers) and supplys products which are also not high risk and we have never required (nor would we consider it) that the ship to matches the bill to address, fraudulent transactions or charge-backs are not even the slightest issue for us. ;-)

[/quote]

I agree with the above post very well written.

On a side note I do agree with not shipping to high risk areas such as war zones - happened once to me.

Thanks to all. I do appreciate your feedback. I do agree with everybody and the reassurance is helpful. I have been thinking about this for a while now and got some free time to pursue this dilemma.

Most helpful. :grin: