Tiny featured products thumbnails / Improve Featured products block

Greetings,

Was hoping to get some help on how I can have larger featured product thumbnails and into improving how the featured product blocks look.

The featured product thumbnails are really tiny. Is there a way to make them larger?

Also, there is a lot of “white space” in the Featured Products block itself. Does anyone have recommendations/addons to use to improve this portion of the website?

Front page real estate is precious. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

tinyproducts.jpg

White space, styles.css line 1439:

.mainbox2-body .product-image img, .mainbox2-body .product-item-image img, .mainbox2-body .categories-image img, .mainbox2-body .feature-image img, .mainbox2-body .image-border img {
/*background-color:#FFFFFF;*/
/*border:1px solid #E2E7ED;*/

I too wonder how to change the size of the Featured Product thumbnails. I tried changing the settings in the “thumbnails” section of the Administration tab. But it made no difference. Anyone have ideas on how this is done?

Have you tried chaging the ‘Appearance type’ for your “Featured products” block in Design->Blocks? What appearance type are you using?

Bob

Featured products" block image sizes you need to make some code changes in the “small_list.tpl” file

1. Open the “small_list.tpl” file located in the “skins/[YOUR_ACTIVE_SKIN]/customer/blocks/list_templates”
  2. Replace this part of code:

{include file=“common_templates/image.tpl” image_width=“40” obj_id=$obj_id_prefix images=$product.main_pair object_type=“product”}

with this one:

{include file=“common_templates/image.tpl” image_width=“NEW_IMAGE_WIDTH” obj_id=$obj_id_prefix images=$product.main_pair object_type=“product”}

3. Save the file.

You may also want to change the size in the HOT DEAL block.

To change the size of the images in the “Hot deal” block

4. Open the “hot_deals.tpl” file located in the “skins/[CUSTOMER_ACTIVE_SKIN]/customer/addons/hot_deals/blocks/”
  5. Replace this part of code:

with this one:

where "NEW_IMAGE_WIDTH" is the new size of the thumbnails in the "Hot Deals" block (for example: "75")
3) Save the file.

The easiest way to do this I find is by turning on customization mode in admin and then view the store in this mode and edit them with the tabs there in the fly.
You may want to utilise the MY Changes folder, but thats your choice.

John

[quote name=‘johnbol1’]Featured products" block image sizes you need to make some code changes in the “small_list.tpl” file

1. Open the “small_list.tpl” file located in the “skins/[YOUR_ACTIVE_SKIN]/customer/blocks/list_templates”
  2. Replace this part of code:

{include file=“common_templates/image.tpl” image_width=“40” obj_id=$obj_id_prefix images=$product.main_pair object_type=“product”}

with this one:

{include file=“common_templates/image.tpl” image_width=“NEW_IMAGE_WIDTH” obj_id=$obj_id_prefix images=$product.main_pair object_type=“product”}

3. Save the file.

You may also want to change the size in the HOT DEAL block.

To change the size of the images in the “Hot deal” block

4. Open the “hot_deals.tpl” file located in the “skins/[CUSTOMER_ACTIVE_SKIN]/customer/addons/hot_deals/blocks/”
  5. Replace this part of code:

with this one:

where "NEW_IMAGE_WIDTH" is the new size of the thumbnails in the "Hot Deals" block (for example: "75")
3) Save the file.

The easiest way to do this I find is by turning on customization mode in admin and then view the store in this mode and edit them with the tabs there in the fly.
You may want to utilise the MY Changes folder, but thats your choice.

John[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your assistance. I was able to get the Hot Deals box fixed but the featured products doesn't reference the "small_list.tpl" termplate so when I made that change it didn't make a difference.

I'll keep playing with it - at least I know where to look for those sorts of changes in the code.

Thanks again!

[quote name='jobosales']Have you tried chaging the 'Appearance type' for your "Featured products" block in Design->Blocks? What appearance type are you using?

Bob[/QUOTE]

I'm using the multicolumn type which is probably why the small_list.tpl is not being used.

Ok I found out how to fix it.

I had to go into the grid_list.tpl file and take this line:

{include file="common_templates/image.tpl" [B]image_width=$settings.Appearance.thumbnail_width[/B] obj_id=$obj_id_prefix images=$product.main_pair object_type="product"}

and change it to this:

{include file="common_templates/image.tpl" [B]image_width=200[/B] obj_id=$obj_id_prefix images=$product.main_pair object_type="product"}

I don’t know yet what impact this will have on the rest of the cart but I’m going to play around with it now and see.