Terms & Conditions at Checkout

This question goes out to all shop-owners out there.

Do you require your customers to agree with your Terms & Conditions when checking out? And if so, why?

As my business continues to expand I’ve been dealing with more and more “friendly chargebacks” and would like to limit these as much as possible. Limiting them all together is impossible, but I’d like to set myself up in way which helps prevent them or acts as backup when chargebacks do occur.

To your knowledge, does having a customer agree to your Terms & Conditions at checkout safeguard you in any way from “friendly chargebacks”?

Any input on this issue would be more than appreciated. I’ve been reading more and more on how big of a problem this has become in e-commerce, and I think some shared knowledge could benefit all us CS-Cart shop-owners.

I do, but I sell licensed products. The agreement has nothing to do with return policy, fitness for use, etc.

I doubt almost any terms you specify would hold up with a CC company (especially Amex) since they almost always side with the consumer since that is their customer.

[quote name=‘Chef_Joe’]This question goes out to all shop-owners out there.

Do you require your customers to agree with your Terms & Conditions when checking out? And if so, why?

As my business continues to expand I’ve been dealing with more and more “friendly chargebacks” and would like to limit these as much as possible. Limiting them all together is impossible, but I’d like to set myself up in way which helps prevent them or acts as backup when chargebacks do occur.

To your knowledge, does having a customer agree to your Terms & Conditions at checkout safeguard you in any way from “friendly chargebacks”?

Any input on this issue would be more than appreciated. I’ve been reading more and more on how big of a problem this has become in e-commerce, and I think some shared knowledge could benefit all us CS-Cart shop-owners.[/QUOTE]

Here in Germany its a matter or rules that i do this. We have very strong regulations with open a webshop. On all prices we must write that it is with taxes or must write a * with details and so on… so its very bad… its the best when i am a laywer and open a shop, but even a laywer cant know that all.

So you are lucky in the US and other countrys…

In India, it is required for every shop to write their terms & conditions, not only for your policies but it also required for credit card or paypal chargeback.

Most sites have links to pages for:

1. Privacy Policy
  2. Return Policy

These would generally not be in the T&C for an order or for a product. Generally those T&C’s relate to licensing or trial periods that are specific to the product being sold.

But it seems that most here are using it to replace the Privacy and Return policy documents which are usually much more “legal” in nature than the brief T&C’s presented on checkout.

In any event, since most people who run stores are not lawyers, the odds of you having a T&C that will actually stand up in a court or against a CC company’s policies are very low at best. It’s more of a CYA.

[quote name=‘Chef_Joe’]This question goes out to all shop-owners out there.

Any input on this issue would be more than appreciated. I’ve been reading more and more on how big of a problem this has become in e-commerce, and I think some shared knowledge could benefit all us CS-Cart shop-owners.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what you mean by friendly chargebacks, but our chargeback has decrease by a bunch by only shipping to the billing address. We make no exception to long term customer either. Also we are also debating whether or not to send all packages with signtuare request. Although most consumers will think that is a hassle, but if their package ever came up missing they’ll hold you responsible for it of course. I didn’t know what a charge back was until last year or maybe the year before and then all the sudden they started to pile up quickly due to the volume of Paypal/Website orders.