Storefront design changes taking a really long time to be displayed/updated

Hi I am using the trial version of cs-cart (v2.0.14). I am new to storefront design modifications using .tpl and followed some of the examples in the knowledge base. What i found is that any design change (in styles.css) that i make takes a terribly long time to be displayed on the storefront … on average, i had to wait for about 45 mins before the changes will appear on the storefront and sometimes i had to wait for more than 2 hours. During these times, i am clearing cache on both the browser and also the templates cache in cs-cart. I used www.mysitename.com/admin.php?&cc, www.mysitename.com/index.php?cc

I tried using IE7.0 and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.6, but still the changes took a long time to be updated on the storefront. I have also clear cache on IE (deleting history files, temporary files, etc.)

I thought it could be a problem with the server where cs-cart is installed, so i ran a version locally. But the problem still persists.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[quote name=‘cg368’]Hi I am using the trial version of cs-cart (v2.0.14). I am new to storefront design modifications using .tpl and followed some of the examples in the knowledge base. What i found is that any design change (in styles.css) that i make takes a terribly long time to be displayed on the storefront … on average, i had to wait for about 45 mins before the changes will appear on the storefront and sometimes i had to wait for more than 2 hours. During these times, i am clearing cache on both the browser and also the templates cache in cs-cart. I used www.mysitename.com/admin.php?&cc, www.mysitename.com/index.php?cc

I tried using IE7.0 and Mozilla Firefox 3.6.6, but still the changes took a long time to be updated on the storefront. I have also clear cache on IE (deleting history files, temporary files, etc.)

I thought it could be a problem with the server where cs-cart is installed, so i ran a version locally. But the problem still persists.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

And do you think the server would run 2 hours to execute the script (your chages)? The problem will be somewhere else. But probably it’s the CACHE.

P.S. Try to delete all files in var/cache/ and all things in var/compiled/

[quote name=‘cg368’]Hi I am using the trial version of cs-cart (v2.0.14). I am new to storefront design modifications using .tpl and followed some of the examples in the knowledge base. What i found is that any design change (in styles.css) that i make takes a terribly long time to be displayed on the storefront … on average, i had to wait for about 45 mins before the changes will appear on the storefront and sometimes i had to wait for more than 2 hours. During these times, i am clearing cache on both the browser and also the templates cache in cs-cart. I used www.mysitename.com/admin.php?&cc, www.mysitename.com/index.php?cc

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

You cannot use admin.php&cc

visit “View Orders” and place &cc at the end of the URL.

Jesse is right, your URL has to contain a “dispatch” variable with &cc in order to clear the cache in v 2.0.14+

[quote name=‘ETInteractive’]Jesse is right, your URL has to contain a “dispatch” variable with &cc in order to clear the cache in v 2.0.14+[/QUOTE]

Hi, I tried all that was suggested in the previous replies:

1. Clearing Cache by deleting files in var/cache. Problem still persists.
  2. I could not delete files in var/compiled/. There were 3 folders within this - admin, customer and mail. Which should i delete?

Jesse, I tried what you said, but again it took a really long time to display any storefront changes. This time i lost track of how long it took (I actually doze off!!!)

When you said URL has to contain “dispatch” variable with &cc in order to clear cache… what i don’t understand is there are so many ‘sections’ that can contain the “dispatch” variable, for example, Design: template editors, Orders: view orders, etc. Which ones do i choose? It is a big hassle if i had to click on every single section in order to clear cache. Is there a command to clear ALL cache?

Thanks.

[quote name=‘cg368’]Hi, I tried all that was suggested in the previous replies:

1. Clearing Cache by deleting files in var/cache. Problem still persists.
  2. I could not delete files in var/compiled/. There were 3 folders within this - admin, customer and mail. Which should i delete?

Jesse, I tried what you said, but again it took a really long time to display any storefront changes. This time i lost track of how long it took (I actually doze off!!!)

When you said URL has to contain “dispatch” variable with &cc in order to clear cache… what i don’t understand is there are so many ‘sections’ that can contain the “dispatch” variable, for example, Design: template editors, Orders: view orders, etc. Which ones do i choose? It is a big hassle if i had to click on every single section in order to clear cache. Is there a command to clear ALL cache?

Thanks.[/quote]

Looks like your server sucks bro… either that, or you are not clearing /var/compiled/ correctly (just after you make the necessary changes?)

Regarding the dispatch variable, any will do, but use this:

yourdomain.com

From my knowledge that will clear all compiled. What is won’t do (again from knowledge) is clear var/cache/*

My suggestion to you:
  3. Make your changes
  4. Delete the folders under /var/compiled/
  5. Delete all files under /var/cache/

Hard-Refresh your browser by holding down “F5” or “Reload” for 5 seconds.

Lemme know how you roll.

Hi Jesse,

I tried what you suggested … Made the changes, deleted the files in var/cache/ and var/compiled. Held down f5 for 10 secs!! Still the problem persists!!

I thought it could be the server, but the same thing happen when i ran cs-cart from localhost. I am running out of ideas as to what the problem might be, so any help would be very much appreciated.

By the way, the change i made is really simple - changing the colours of links from blue to red!!!

Thanks.

[quote name=‘cg368’]Hi Jesse,

I tried what you suggested … Made the changes, deleted the files in var/cache/ and var/compiled. Held down f5 for 10 secs!! Still the problem persists!!

I thought it could be the server, but the same thing happen when i ran cs-cart from localhost. I am running out of ideas as to what the problem might be, so any help would be very much appreciated.

By the way, the change i made is really simple - changing the colours of links from blue to red!!!

Thanks.[/quote]

email or PM me your login information and explicitly what you were attempting to achieve. J.

(PS: Localhosts normally perform worse than webhosting as the php/sql/apache settings haven’t been tweaked)

check the apache error log on your localhost system if you cannot access it on the web… It should give you some ideas what is causing the delay

I have just started trying to do some design changes for the first time by using the examples in the docs and just had the same problem with the cache. Have spent the last 30 mins trying to work out what I was doing wrong and finally found this topic. It might be good to have a message on the docs about this to save people some time that don’t realize it like myself. :slight_smile:

I used the yourdomain.com method to clear the cache and then my design changes appeared no worries. It would be handy to have a clear cache button in the admin area somewhere under the design tab possibly or something.

Personally, I add a clear cache link to my quick links in my admin. It makes it a lot easier to just pull that down and click the link instead of having to type in a URL.

Brandon

In 2.1.3 there is also the option to switch to “Development Mode” on the bottom of the admin pages. I have not really experimented with this new feature yet, however, I believe the entire purpose was to disable caching while making template or design changes, then switch back to “Live Mode” when finished tweaking. :wink: At least it sounds logical to me…

It disables page caching, not registry caching.

I dont know if this helps you, but sometimes my quicklink additions or changes take over 24 hours to show up. I think it must have something to do with the servers updating. Its really frustrating having to keep waiting.

When you make changes to quick links and they don’t show immediately, clear the cache on your store (?cc) and they will then appear.