Stopping site going live - image problems

If you have setup site wide options - The images on the category listing page defaults to the image used in the options. My Category products have 3 options because I sell used products so “good,average bad condition” and 3 different images for each option showing the actule item.

Lets say I have 9 products, Lets say all products have 3 images AB & C and I have no stock of option A. So the images shown might look like this;

B B C

C C C

B B B

Now let say I update the stock and now one of my products has an option A, that should now look like this;

A B C

C C C

B B B

My product listing looks like this; where X = “on image”

A X X

X X X

X X X

This could be any option, it just picks up the first and shows the images from that option for all products listed. Not the same image but the same option type image. In the product page it shows the correct image for the stock available. But I can’t go live with a site that shows no image for a lot of the listing. Most my product are top quality (option A) but say I have an A & B inthe first product. One the day I sell the A option all the default images would stop showing unless they too had an option B.

Sorry its so hard to explain. Might be easier to think of them as colour choice. One day you show all blue dresses, next you show one green and the rest of no images at all. CAN ANYONE HELP !