Ssl redirect problem

SSL redirect problem

I just purchased a SSL cert for mydomain.com

but my webhost saw a problem with CS Cart redirects for www.mydomain.com

The SSl cert works but an error message occurs.

Do I need to adjust my HTaccess file.

More info about the error or a link to your site would be helpful because this could be a couple things if the cert was installed correctly.

This is most commonly caused by the certificate being purchased for domain.com but you have set the $config[‘https_path’] to use www.domain.com (or the opposite).

SSL treats the www. prefix as a sub-domain and must be ordered specifically for that if you wish to use SSL with that prefix.

Check the following variable in config.local.php to see what you have set

```php // Host and directory where software is installed on secure server

$config[‘https_host’] = ‘www.domain.com’;

$config[‘https_path’] = ‘’; ```If that includes the www. then remove it. If it does not then add it and test your SSL pages again.

If that does not work then it could be because of the server type. Some hosting control panels like Plesk use separate directories for secure files by default but can be configured or manipulated via .htaccess to use the same one…

Send me a link to your site if you still can’t get this working.

Thank you!

I made the change (removed www) now I will test.

I am using cpanel and the cert is an alpha cert.

Interestingly, my site crashed when I deleted the www I restored a backup copy so all is well now - for the moment.

Try clearing your stores cache after making that change

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]Try clearing your stores cache after making that change[/quote]

For now I will hold off as the site crash made me nervous.

Also I did a test order and all seemed well.

[QUOTE]For now I will hold off as the site crash made me nervous.[/QUOTE]

Never be afraid to clear your cache, otherwise your site will just crash tomorrow or the next day anyways! :smiley:

[quote name=‘Struck’]Never be afraid to clear your cache, otherwise your site will just crash tomorrow or the next day anyways! :D[/quote]

Smiling - I agree…

I use the default database - MySql and usually I don’t have too many crashing type problems unless I do something wrong.

I wonder how often I should clear my cache as a precaution?

[QUOTE]I wonder how often I should clear my cache as a precaution?[/QUOTE]

Well, considering you are running 2.1.4 (& hopefully using SQLITE as the cache method), then not often at all. For the most part only after you make design or template code changes to your site. Or, once a month maybe if you are bored! :smiley:

[quote name=‘Struck’]Well, considering you are running 2.1.4 (& hopefully using SQLITE as the cache method), then not often at all. For the most part only after you make design or template code changes to your site. Or, once a month maybe if you are bored! :D[/quote]

Actually that is what I am doing after changes and when I am not so much bored but curious what will happen - as in will my site go faster? It never does after clearing the cache but you never know…

I am using a MYSQL database I am not sure what the default cache method is but that is what I have.

My site has about a 1,100 products with lots of large photos but very few addons and I rarely have any problems and the site moves quickly in the USA where most of my customers are.

So is there any reason to switch to sqlite?

[QUOTE]will my site go faster? It never does after clearing the cache but you never know…[/QUOTE]

Not in 2.1.4, if you clear your cache, then your site will have to entirely re-cache everything and will be slower until it is completely re-built, so you really no longer want to just randomly be clearing your cache (like was often mentioned back in the old days).

Regarding using the SQL cache method, S-Combs has made several warnings as to why this can be a bad idea. (To make along story short, basically you can overload your SQL database which of course is not a good idea!)

I would highly suggest changing your config.local.php file to the SQLITE cache method. Then clear your cache one final time and let it rebuild clean!

What does overloading mean?

Crashing and or slow downs?

S-Combs referred to it within this thread:

[url]http://forum.cs-cart.com/showthread.php?t=23706[/url]

[QUOTE]What does overloading mean?

Crashing and or slow downs?[/QUOTE]

What part of any of this sounds good, absolutely nothing! :smiley:

I am not convinced.

The thread is based on just a few CS Cart experiences.

I will wait for more posts.

There are no guarantees that your site is going to explode over the weekend sending shrapnel into cyberspace, I was only giving you a subtle warning that “you might want to consider this”! :eek:

Saturday is OK for it to explode I have time to fix it Sunday I will be busy…

Your thoughts are appreciated - very much so.

I would like to see more feedback.

Trav,

There is an easy way to monitor this, just occasionally take a look at the size of your Mysql DB and see if it is rapidly increasing in size, if it is, then this is most likely the reason why.

You can monitor the size directly thru the CS-Cart admin under “Database Maintenance”

[quote name=‘Struck’]Trav,

There is an easy way to monitor this, just occasionally take a look at the size of your Mysql DB and see if it is rapidly increasing in size, if it is, then this is most likely the reason why.

You can monitor the size directly thru the CS-Cart admin under “Database Maintenance”[/quote]

OK that sounds like a good research project.

What is the average size of a shopping cart per thousand products with photos I wonder? I am trying to get a baseline.

bytes is our current size with lots of photos and around 1100 products.

And what is fast growth?

[quote name=‘S-Combs’]Try clearing your stores cache after making that change[/quote]

OK today I tried again and all is 99.9% OK No cache clearing needed.

If you use chrome and you are ona https page and you add www to mydomain.com Chrome throws up an error message but that is rare that anyone will do that.

[QUOTE]OK today I tried again and all is 99.9% OK No cache clearing needed.[/QUOTE]

It is that final one tenth of a percent that is the killer though! :shock: