Splitting content into subdomains

Hi Guys, in order to boost performance to CS Cart, im wanting to create a couple of subdomains;

main site; www.mysite.com

css/js files; scripts.mysite.com

images; images.mysite.com

Has anyone done this? I'm just not clear on where i would set the paths to these items. I have an SSL certificate, and I realise that I'll have to upgrade it to a wildcard cert for my domain.

Thanks,

Scott.

p.s.; Cs Cart team - can you please change my forum status from that of ‘trial user’ ? I’ve bought lots of copies of Cs Cart by now. :-)

No one has done this?

Scott, my bet is this is only going to reduce your site’s performance, probably why not many are jumping on board with this. ;-)

Most of use don't have enough time in the day to get a local CDN working… ^^^

[quote name=‘JesseLeeStringer’ timestamp=‘1363657215’ post=‘158072’]

Most of use don’t have enough time in the day to get a local CDN working… ^^^

[/quote]

You’re right about that Jesse, and if all goes as planned with your new venture, it only gets worse… However, you just have to occasionally remind yourself that it is “worse for the better”! ;-)

[quote name=‘Struck’ timestamp=‘1363656275’ post=‘158068’]

Scott, my bet is this is only going to reduce your site’s performance, probably why not many are jumping on board with this. ;-)

[/quote]

Hi Struck, why do you say that? I would’ve thought that doubling or tripling the browser connections would aid in getting the content faster. I do realise that at a certain point, and if you have too many connections, you are probably going to suffer from too many DNS lookups, and you might start hammering the server from too many ‘keep-alive’ requests.

Just a thought… I imagine splitting images into a subdomain would have a major impact on the core files and image uploading etc. But on a simpler level, it might be a performance boost to at least split the css and js files into a subdomain.

I've been reading some articles lately that claims AJAX uses two packets of data for everything GET, not sure why, and its a little over my head, but having that content on a subdomain would at least double the browser connections.

This can't reduce site performance. Images and css/js subdomains can bu used as free-cookie domains and can be useful for parallel downloads.

[quote name='Scott_C' timestamp='1363062980' post='157513']

Hi Guys, in order to boost performance to CS Cart, im wanting to create a couple of subdomains;

main site; www.mysite.com

css/js files; scripts.mysite.com

images; images.mysite.com

Has anyone done this? I'm just not clear on where i would set the paths to these items. I have an SSL certificate, and I realise that I'll have to upgrade it to a wildcard cert for my domain.

Thanks,

Scott.

[/quote]

Hi @Scott,

Please PM in order to configure as you wish, can be done, but you will need some custom code.

If you wish to do it your self:[list=1]

[]create subdomains

[
]change from skins and controllers http_host depandig of type, scripts, images( product images, skin images ),

[/list]

Valentin

Thanks Vali, PM sent!