Special promotion to only certain people

My client wants to be able to have a postcard given to certain clients with a 15% discount on it for them. HOWEVER, I dont see a way to enter some kind of promo code in the back end for this…she has to just put an entire 15% on the web site, but that really wont work because she doesnt want to give it to everyone only the people she gave the post card to, maybe with a promo code, but theres no way to enter that in the cart? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Lee

Assign the users to a group and then have the coupon code valid for members of that group. You can also keep the coupon code hidden (status = H) so it's not visible in the promotions listing.

[quote name='tbirnseth' timestamp='1319683642' post='124630']

Assign the users to a group and then have the coupon code valid for members of that group. You can also keep the coupon code hidden (status = H) so it's not visible in the promotions listing.

[/quote]

Thank you so much - is there a way to slighly elaborate on how to do this…I am BRAND NEW to this cart—

Thanks for your help!

Lee

You setup groups in the Admin/Users tab.

You create coupons in promotions.

Once you have groups setup, you should see checkboxes somewhere in the creation/editing of a promotion to have it apply to members of certain groups only. You'll have to root-around but it should be pretty straight forward.

[quote name=‘tbirnseth’ timestamp=‘1319685817’ post=‘124638’]

You setup groups in the Admin/Users tab.

You create coupons in promotions.

Once you have groups setup, you should see checkboxes somewhere in the creation/editing of a promotion to have it apply to members of certain groups only. You’ll have to root-around but it should be pretty straight forward.

[/quote]

Thanks I will try this out - again thank you :)

Catalog/promotions/add cart promo.

Give it a name etc the go to conditions…

where all these are “true”

select “Add condition”,

then select equal “coupon code” and enter the desired code.

then go to bonuses, select “order discount”

then choose what discount to give etc etc.

As Tbirnseth said, make it hidden so it does not appear to anyone else then that way the only people who will use it are the ones who received the post cards.

John

Oh John, you know us newbies are going to be all over you on this!

I am struggling with a very similar issue. I have been wanting to create a coupon code but today I am faced with making it a reality because a customer asked about it. I told her if she bought 6 items I would give her 10% off and if she bought 8 or more I would give her 15% off. She took me up on it but now I don't know how to create the coupon to make it happen.

Beyond this, I would like to make this a “refer a friend” deal where she can tell friends, give them this secret code and let them take advantage of the same offer. My concern is that I do not have user groups set up right now, and if I do set them up, is there a way to make them default to a user group so they only have to enter a certain code?

I guess this is a two-parter… Can you help?