Smoothest method to upgrade from 1.3.5 SP4 to 2.1.1

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my current store which is running on 1.3.5 SP4 to the latest CS cart 2.1.1. I will need to install the latest version first for testing it completely for 1 week while my current site is still live. I will be importing all the current datebase and html files into the test setup for testing. And once all the testing is complete, I will make the switch. What’s the best and smoothest way to do this so that downtime is minimum for my store ?

All opinions will be really appreciated. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thnx

[quote name=‘jain1980’]Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my current store which is running on 1.3.5 SP4 to the latest CS cart 2.1.1. I will need to install the latest version first for testing it completely for 1 week while my current site is still live. I will be importing all the current datebase and html files into the test setup for testing. And once all the testing is complete, I will make the switch. What’s the best and smoothest way to do this so that downtime is minimum for my store ?

Thnx[/QUOTE]

This will all depend on your choice, you can do it manually or via “upgrade centre”.

i have only been bitten once using upgrade centre and was rescued by a fantastic forum member (who I still owe) or you can do manually. Either way, backup, backup, backup!!!

[SIZE=“2”][COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]Absolutely make sure you back up your “skins” folder & keep a copy somewhere safe…especially if you have made any changes. It has saved me many times…[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name=‘jain1980’]Hello,

Thnx[/QUOTE]

Honestly, in my opinion I would contact SnoRocket and allow him to update your store for a few hundred dollas while your sleeping one night so you do not have to think about it, and by the time you wake up the next morning it’s completed.

JesseLeeStringer is also an excellent choice for quality work as it relates to upgrading from 1.35 environments.

[quote name=‘KBM’]Honestly, in my opinion I would contact SnoRocket and allow him to update your store for a few hundred dollas while your sleeping one night so you do not have to think about it, and by the time you wake up the next morning it’s completed.[/QUOTE]

I would have done that If I am directly moving to a live store. But I will just be testing the new setup for a week with all the live stores database, users, orders etc and make the switch only if am satisfied with the testing. And I have only 60-70 products to take care of.

So my questions are :

1. How do I make the switch smoothly once I decide the test setup is OK for live? I am planning to install the test setup on a subdomain on my current site.

2. Also what should I do If want to revert back to 1.3.5 SP4?

Thnx

[quote name=‘jain1980’]I would have done that If I am directly moving to a live store. But I will just be testing the new setup for a week with all the live stores database, users, orders etc and make the switch only if am satisfied with the testing. And I have only 60-70 products to take care of.

So my questions are :

1. How do I make the switch smoothly once I decide the test setup is OK for live? I am planning to install the test setup on a subdomain on my current site.

2. Also what should I do If want to revert back to 1.3.5 SP4?

Thnx[/QUOTE]

Anyone who can help me with some info on the above ?

I just Upgraded mine from 1.3.5 sp3 to sp4 then to 2.0.8 once you are at 2.0.8 its easy peasy to jump up to 2.1.1 using the NEW and in my opinion better upgrade tool in the back end.

You basically end up with 2 versions: the original store with its original database then a new 2.x version with a new database, you then copy everything across from the old database and run a small script.

Only issue is you will have to re-do all the template changes, my store is now identical to my 1.3.5 version and only took me a few days to do all the changes, I did this all completely separate to my live store so if it didn’t work out I still had that bringing in the money.

I followed these instructions and it was a piece of cake.

[url]CS-Cart Documentation — CS-Cart 4.15.x documentation

Happy to help if needed, also could do the full upgrade minus template editing for a small fee.

Alex

I followed the same instructions, having gone from 134sp3 → 135sp4, and then 135sp4 → 208 and it was not a piece of cake; in fact, I can’t finish the upgrade because I hit an error (1146) and php and mysql are not my trade. Support is telling me that my “database backup appears to be incorrect” after following their simple instructions to simply go to Admin, click DB backup, uncheck compress, name the file, and hit backup.

So… how do I get a hold of SnoRocket or the other person?

Thank you,

–Sandra

[quote name=‘sandraqu’]

So… how do I get a hold of SnoRocket or the other person?

[/quote]

Submit a helpdesk ticket:

[url]http://www.snorocket.com/helpdesk.html[/url]

Thanks - Sno