I think the wishlist voting system is great for big features that would be ‘cool’ to have. However, it’s not useful for small features that should be in the cart. There is no way to get a bunch of votes for each small features that should have already been implemented.
After setting up the cart, here’s a list of small features that definitely should be there and that wouldn’t require a lot of development to implement:
- Buy Now urls, to be able to use the cart’s checkout process from another website.
- “Download instructions” box per product, to add into the order confirmation email
- “License keys” box per product, containing a list of keys to add into the order confirmation email
- Ability to add the client of a product into a specific mailing list (transparently), to maintain a list of clients
- Auto-updating of currency rates every evening
- Ability to disable PayPal as a payment option for recurring plans
- Better protection of the sid_custom cookie with HTTPONLY and SECURE attributes for PCI Compliance
Something else I could think of is support for “Verified by Visa” and “MasterCard SecureCode”, although that one is not such a priority. All the other features could easily be implemented in a single week.
What other small features do you think should already be supported? These small features are the 10% of work that make 90% of the cart’s improvements and usability. Yet, people won’t bother voting for such small features. If someone needs any of these, they’ll rather implement it on their own right now because they need it right away.