Skinning the beta

Hello

I have downloaded the latest beta and I have a couple of questions about skinning.

If I start skinning the beta, will i be able to use my designs in the stable version when it is released by simply swapping over the relevant .tpl and .css files?

Is the design integration guide still valid for this version 2 software - or does this version 2 work differently from 1.3.5 in terms of skinning.

I am planning on using a substantially modded version of cs-cart for a client’s site - I know I should not start modding the software until a stable version is released but I know the database will be transfereable from the beta to the stable version and I am hoping a skin will be transferable too - is that correct? - ie can I start working on the database and skin now without having to redo this work later?

thanks

Hi, I would not skin the beta myself, I no you want to dig in and go nuts, I’m with ya… But anything can change, I have kicked myself to many times from skinning stuff in the early stage to find they do a major change that is good for the system, but not good for the skin I did…

[quote name=‘mylove4life’]But anything can change, I have kicked myself to many times from skinning stuff in the early stage to find they do a major change that is good for the system[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I have dug into the 2.0 skins but don’t want to go hardcore skinning until the alpha release for these exact reasons.

Well, it is 2.0.2 RC (Release Candidate) which to me means it was extensively tested & now made available to the community as a “final test” to find and repair any minor bugs that still “might” be hiding before the official release. I wouldn’t expect any major changes to the core program at this stage. Actually I wouldn’t expect the final release to be much different at all other than perhaps a few last minute bug fixes and “maybe” an additional small feature or two added along with some more skin choices.

I am not an expert by any means, this is only based upon my past experiences with other software companies in regards to Release Candidates.

[quote name=‘Stuck’]Well, it is 2.0.2 RC (Release Candidate) which to me means it was extensively tested & now made available to the community as a “final test” to find and repair any minor bugs that still “might” be hiding before the official release. I wouldn’t expect any major changes to the core program at this stage. Actually I wouldn’t expect the final release to be much different at all other than perhaps a few last minute bug fixes and “maybe” an additional small feature or two added along with some more skin choices.

I am not an expert by any means, this is only based upon my past experiences with other software companies in regards to Release Candidates.[/QUOTE]

So for your opinion we can start the design?

By the way will it be hard to move the 1.3.5 design to cs 2? any ideas what can help up do that. maybe file comparison?

[quote name=‘kobiadato’]So for your opinion we can start the design?

By the way will it be hard to move the 1.3.5 design to cs 2? any ideas what can help up do that. maybe file comparison?[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Personally, if I were only creating a new skin design for my own site, then yes, I would certainly start working on it now rather than waiting for perhaps another few weeks. So what, you may or may not have to make a tweak or two after the official release, however, most likely less work than converting your skin/template from 1.3.5 to 2.0.

Just jump in & be a “Maverick” :smiley:

No guarantees of course, just my honest opinion!

Thanks for your input on this guys - I am going to get stuck in and if I need to tweak some things later, so be it!

Would strongly suggest using the ‘addon’ features in 2.0 for modifying skins. Obviously if you’re starting from scratch, you’d simply copy one of the skins to a new name and then just have at it. But my bet is that you can accomplish most anything you need using ‘hooks’.

The addon architecture works pretty well. Using it enables you to modify the UI while separating yourself from future upgrades but still getting the functional benefits of those upgrades. You can add your own css following the standard css to adjust colors or other standard classes to suit your needs. You can prepend/replace/append content to areas of the UI and that’s controlled simply by the filename used.

I’ve made a free addon available at [url]http://www.ez-ms.com/local.addon.zip[/url] which setups up the framework for local UI modifications. The README.txt file describes how ‘hooks’ are implemented in 2.0 and how you use them. Note that the current home page of ez-ms.com is simply about 3 hook files (ihooks/index/main_content.tpl, hooks/index/mainbox_override.tpll, styles.post.tpl and a couple of other small adjustments). It is quite powreful and this allows you to change what is important to you but not generate conflicts with any future upgrades that may come. I also simply used most of the existing graphics but changed their color to fit the theme.

Hope this helps.

tony