Simple Way To Add Insurance, Rush Processing?

I’m setting up my products on 2.1.3 and I haven’t found an option for the customer to purchase insurance during checkout. In version 1.3.3, I used to add a Freight value in the shipping options for the product’s insurance. Now in 2.1.3, my items that have free shipping will override the Freight value. I don’t want to provide free insurance. Sure I can hack the code so the freight value is added even if the Free Shipping box is checked, but how do others handle insurance?

There are a few businesses I purchase from that have a “Rush Box” at checkout to provide faster processing of the order. Usually the fee is around $2.99 like Newegg. I looks like a nice way to pickup a few extra dollars per order. Has anyone added a box like this at checkout?

Hello Larry,

As far as Insurance for our US Postal based shipping methods, I add .75 as a surcharge onto the USPS realtime rates returned. Basically, we won’t give our customers the option to “not” have their shipments insured!

As far as offering optional insurance your Free shipping methods, I am not sure how I would handle that situation. Guess it would really only apply to US Postal based shipments considering UPS & Fedex includes insurance for the first $100.00 in their rates. :wink:

[quote name=‘Struck’]Guess it would really only apply to US Postal based shipments considering UPS & Fedex includes insurance for the first $100.00 in their rates. ;)[/QUOTE]The first $100 is a problem too. I need to add insurance for UPS and FedEx ground as well because many of my items are around $600 to $1,000. Well, I think a workaround for now is to setup a Shipping Charge “Dependency”