simple question - permission 666

I keep seeing info telling me to set config.local.php permission to 666.

HOW?

there is nothing in the file with a 3 digit number

Im using filezilla as FTP…how do I set permission?

It’s in the config.php and your permissions can vary depending on server.

// Default permissions for newly created files and directories
define('DEFAULT_FILE_PERMISSIONS', 0644);
define('DEFAULT_DIR_PERMISSIONS', 0755);

I’ve never used filezilla so I don’t know if it has the ability to change permissions or not. Do you have cPanel on your hosting account? If so, you can change permissions there.

[quote name=‘crashy’]I keep seeing info telling me to set config.local.php permission to 666.

HOW?

Im using filezilla as FTP…how do I set permission?[/QUOTE]

I don’t use Filezilla but you can probably right-click on config.local.php and see an option like “Set permissions” or “Get Info”. Select one of them and you should be able to set the permissions to allow read-write access for owner, group and world (others).

Bob

solution:

dont try to change permissions on local server. upload then change permissions on remote site (filezilla)

[quote name=‘crashy’]I keep seeing info telling me to set config.local.php permission to 666.

HOW?

Im using filezilla as FTP…how do I set permission?[/QUOTE]

Before you set that permission, find out what kind of PHP your hosting server is running …

Create a “phpinfo.php” file and view this on your site:

```php

phpinfo();

// For those who are familiar with PHP scripting --
// check out the php_sapi_name() function
?>

```

Look for the line on the screen shown to you that is labeled “Server API” …

(It’s near the top of the screen just after the long ./configure options line)

You should find something saying “Apache module”, “Apache xx Handler”, “Apache2Handler”, or even “dso” depending on your specific web server. This is what you would need to see before going ahead and following CS-Cart’s printed installation instructions.

If you see ANYTHING ELSE and that might include for example statements such as “cgi”, “cgi/FastCGI”, “fcgi”, or “suphp” then you should through the CS-Cart installation instructions in the trash can and you can go ahead and forget about setting the “666” permission setting you just asked about! :wink:

(Incidentally if your server is in the later group, you can completely forget the “777” folders as well!–

In fact, you actually would have to skip those in that case or you would break your web site)

Now that my Ultimate store with 4 storefronts is virtually complete and will be going live this week, I am looking to tidy things up a bit and make the site as secure as possible before going live.

Should I be changing config.local.php from 666 to more secure permissions? config.php is already 644 so should be fine I assume.

Thanks

Most secure for .php files is 600

SuPHP

[quote]

PHP Files = 600

Files = 644

Directories = 755

[/quote]

DSO

[quote]

Files = 644

Writable Files = 666

Directories = 755

755 for

/images/

/var/

/skins/*

where * means all files and folders underneath these folders.

[/quote]